Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Urban Food and Water Storage  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Urban Food and Water Storage
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
One of the biggest problems city preppers who live in apartments and condos have is finding storage space for a significant amount of preps.

I'd be interested in hearing from my fellow urbanites as to their strategies for overcoming this problem.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline BooMushroom

Re: Urban Food and Water Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
One of the biggest problems city preppers who live in apartments and condos have is finding storage space for a significant amount of preps.

I'd be interested in hearing from my fellow urbanites as to their strategies for overcoming this problem.

You can fit several dozen 5-gallon buckets underneath a queen-size bed with a little work.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
You can fit several dozen 5-gallon buckets underneath a queen-size bed with a little work.

I like that idea...lay some plywood on top, put the mattress on top of that, with some skirting to hide the buckets, and viola!
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
Another water possibility is to store as much as you can, but if that isn't a lot, try to keep a water purifier filter around, like a Berkey or any of the others that filter down to the viral level.  That way, even if you don't have heat to boil water, you can find dirty water and render it potable.

Another strategy:  keep a foldup water container, something on the order of a water bed, maybe smaller, that you can fill in the event of an emergency, when it doesn't matter so much that you have a two hundred gallon water bladder taking up most of the floor in your living room.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
Do calorie calculations:  How many calories in, say, a five gallon bucket of mixed rice and beans, versus anything else you could store in a five gallon bucket?  Go for the most calories per volume.  You can always store a whole bunch of multi-vitamins to keep you in reasonable health if your stored preps don't quite cut the mustard, nutrient-wise.

Offline satantroll

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »
Maybe keep a lot of those meal replacement shakes.  They have high calories, keep a long time & can be stashed in all sorts of tight areas (joke not intentional).
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
I have a couple of those waterBOB bladders that you place in tubs.  They are great if you have a little advanced warning and time to fill them.

Beyond that I also have a nice Katadyn filter.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
CarolinaJoe, I think that's an excellent strategy - and thanks for reminding me about those bathtub water bobs.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Bill, if you have a way of predicting quakes...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815