Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Inexpensive Handgun  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
Re: Inexpensive Handgun
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 10:43:43 PM »
Do you already have a defensive pistol?  A .22lr conversion kit may be the best choice...

No - we have several rifles. We've been using the .22 for rabbits since the handgun fell apart. My husband doesn't have any trouble but I've got lousy depth perception, so being that far from the rabbit means I might not kill it with the first shot. Of course, I could change our set up, then I could just rest the end of the barrel against the rabbit's head. Don't want to use the 30-30 or the shotgun - both would, I think, be a bit messy with a bunny!

What's a conversion kit?
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »
No - we have several rifles. We've been using the .22 for rabbits since the handgun fell apart. My husband doesn't have any trouble but I've got lousy depth perception, so being that far from the rabbit means I might not kill it with the first shot. Of course, I could change our set up, then I could just rest the end of the barrel against the rabbit's head. Don't want to use the 30-30 or the shotgun - both would, I think, be a bit messy with a bunny!

What's a conversion kit?

Conversion kits generally replace the slide, barrel and magazine of a semi-auto pistol with a .22LR version, allowing use of your regular defensive pistol for inexpensive practice (using the same trigger you would use on the defensive pistol) and often the same type of sights and sight picture.

We normally carry Glocks, and our BoB's have Advantage Arms conversion kits for them - for small game hunting.  

There are also conversion kits for AR pattern rifles....although I find that an actual .22LR top half and barrel works better.

And if you have depth perception issues with a .22 rifle, consider a simple scope for it....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:18:12 PM by Flight-ER-Doc »
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline cd

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
If the main purpose is killing meat bunnies (as opposed to garden raiding bunnies), a single-shot .22LR would suffice. This is one is out of stock, but is listed around $160:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/909/products_id/60711/Shotguns/Crickett+Firearms/Chipmunk%2022%20Long%20Rifle%20Pistol%2012/quot;%20Blued%20Barrel%20Laminate%20Camo/

This one is a .22LR/.45LC/.410 combo gun. MSRP is $367.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/rossi-matched-pair-single-shot-pistol-review/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_590/products_id/74819/Rossi+45410+RG+Blue

A cheap Heritage revolver might work as well.

If you are dispatching captive bunnies, you probably don't need a full .22LR either. .22 Shorts or CB caps would probably do the trick. Those can be fired in a semi-auto pistol if you singly load them, generally. If you explore those sub .22LR options, I'd lean toward the single shots or revolvers.

Of course, there is a video (which I can't find) on how to kill a rabbit with your hands on each side of your knees.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Yep - these are rabbits we raise. If I had the money, I'd get a captive bolt pistol, the kind made for rabbits & other small animals. But they cost almost as much as a real gun. I don't think I have the physical strength to kill a rabbit manually - I'm also a bit of a wimp - I don't like the idea of killing with my bare hands, tho I'd do it if hungry enough. Also, I like my system of making the rabbits happy just before they die. I put them in an open-topped cage with fresh grass or a bit of apple, depending on the time of year. Since they're hungry (I withhold food for 24 hours) they are happily nibbling away & standing still when they get shot. My dad always shot the rabbits when he raised them - he had a 60-hole rabbitry for quite a few years.

The reason I want a .22 is 1) the ammo is relatively cheap & 2) I'd like it to be useful for other things, like getting rid of stray dogs & raccoons. The area dog pack doesn't send us a notice before coming by for my chickens & carrying a rifle everywhere is inconvenient. The raccoons usually surprise us, too. Thank God we rarely get skunks.  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline cd

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

The reason I want a .22 is 1) the ammo is relatively cheap & 2) I'd like it to be useful for other things, like getting rid of stray dogs & raccoons. The area dog pack doesn't send us a notice before coming by for my chickens & carrying a rifle everywhere is inconvenient. The raccoons usually surprise us, too. Thank God we rarely get skunks.  :)
Just to be clear, those .22 Short and CB rounds I referenced work fine in most guns chambered for .22LR. They're not necessarily cheaper, even though they're less powerful.

I think I'd personally prefer something bigger than a .22LR for a pack of dogs.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
A lot of those conversion kits (I'm thinking specifically of the Kimber or the CZ Cadet) are actually more expensive than a separate .22 pistol.

That's the main reason I bought a 22/45 instead of a conversion for my 1911.

If you're killing meat rabbits, I'd guess a good pellet pistol would actually do the trick, and the ammo for those is even cheaper than .22LR.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
For Bonnie's purposes I think a Ruger .22 pistol should do just fine.  Later models are somewhat easier to maintain.  Older models might be available more cheaply. 
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »

You caught me out in a bit of literary hyperbole  :-[ - we've never seen more than 2 dogs at a time. A year or 2 ago there was an honest-to-goodness dog pack to the south of us killing livestock. We've lost chickens & ducks to the local dogs. One of those dogs is buried in the woods - another had to go to the vet. But he never came around again. I wish I could get the dog that killed my cute little Frizzle.  >:(

A while ago I looked at handguns at a local store & really liked the Ruger .22. However, they wanted over $400 for it. I think I'll have to check prices in Spokane after I decide what to get. I'm going to make notes on the different things you guys have suggested & make the clerk earn his salary by showing me everything.  :)

But I won't be going to the first store. The clerk was rather rude. I think they see gray hair & assume I'm not a serious customer.

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline cd

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »

But I won't be going to the first store. The clerk was rather rude. I think they see gray hair & assume I'm not a serious customer.
That's aggravating, for sure.

You ought to be able to land a Ruger SR22 in the $300 range. The Ruger Mark Series a bit cheaper, mid-$200's. I know you want to handle them (often the Ruger Mark Series guns can be rented at ranges), but you could just email (or call) a gun store, ask if they'll do an FFL transfer ($25 fee is common) and buy a gun online and have it shipped to that FFL.

The last three guns I bought were purchased that way.

If the clerk is rude, he'll only get $25 of your money. ;D

I'm trying to be a good boy and focus on other priorities, but from time to time I browse this site:

http://www.slickguns.com/

It currently lists a Ruger 22/45 pistol for $263, for example.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
Bonnie, check out Sharp Shooting Indoor Range and Gun Shop in Spokane, Robin is good folks and I'm confident she won't tolerate any rude clerks in her establishment!
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
Like...I dunno, just guessing here...a shotgun;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

A .410 is a heck of a good little tool for keeping the varmints at bay. And, it can be had very inexpensively as long guns go. Recoil is very minimal. Not really my choice for home defense, but it will even do for that in a pinch with slugs or buck shot.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline cd

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Now, now, and here I wuz trying to be well-behaved and stick to handguns... which I did for several consecutive posts, in fact! :D

But no, I was actually thinking for a pack of dogs that a semi-auto center-fire pistol would be nice, assuming one didn't drag a long arm around doing chores and such. Honestly.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
Now, now, and here I wuz trying to be well-behaved and stick to handguns... which I did for several consecutive posts, in fact! :D

But no, I was actually thinking for a pack of dogs that a semi-auto center-fire pistol would be nice, assuming one didn't drag a long arm around doing chores and such. Honestly.

You know, that might actually be the problem that funky .22 WMR pistol that Kel-Tec came up with has been looking to solve.

That or the FN Five-Seven.  Although I'd wager .22 WMR ammo is a bunch cheaper.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
You know, that might actually be the problem that funky .22 WMR pistol that Kel-Tec came up with has been looking to solve.

That or the FN Five-Seven.  Although I'd wager .22 WMR ammo is a bunch cheaper.
Good point. That Kel-Tec is super light for carry.

A bit over the top when it comes to popping captive bunnies, howsoever.  ;)

Unrelated, but FWIW I saw some announcements today from Winchester on a new .17 cal rimfire with 3000fps velocity (rifle).

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
Unrelated, but FWIW I saw some announcements today from Winchester on a new .17 cal rimfire with 3000fps velocity (rifle).

Here's an Ammoland.com post about the new Winchester round.

I wonder why they made the announcement without mentioning any firearms manufacturers who plan to support this cartridge....  ???

At any rate, I can't imagine any inexpensive handguns being chambered for this round anytime soon.  ;)
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
I'm still trying to find room in the budget for a Ruger MKIII....  :'(
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
I'm still trying to find room in the budget for a Ruger MKIII....  :'(

I've got an MKIII Hunter, 6 in. barrel. Beautiful pistol. Drool worthy I'd say.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline 9thInfDivRvrRat

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
My guess is that the Heritage .22 mentioned above is the Rough Rider. I've had great luck with the earlier incarnation, the FIE Texas Ranger. Never seems to get respect from the firearms boards, but the two I've had have been trouble-free and as accurate as I need. Bought the first a...ahem...few years ago. Think I paid 65 bucks for it. Interchangeable cylinders for .22 and .22 mag. As lots of us have done, I sold a gun and then wished I hadn't. Bought another but by then they'd gone up to a whole $100 or thereabouts. Since then, I bought the 1st one back for the original selling price, it went away and came back home again, and then got traded for a coach gun. Since a pair of the other three owners liked how the revolver shoots, I'm thinkin' that the thing was only as good as the shooter. Both that I've had have been reliable, and shootin' six-guns has always been fun for me. And yes, they've been used to dispatch rabbits and put down injured/sick/marauding dogs and cats. They'll do the job all day long, .22LR is cheap, and even the .22 mag won't break the bank. You can even get both as shot rounds.

Used to be anotherone.