Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Inexpensive Handgun  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Re: Inexpensive Handgun
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
See, here we go again with the specialized weaponry considerations.

The original question was what should you buy as your first self defense firearm?

The answer, to me, seems obvious, especially given that for more than a few buyers, perhaps even the majority, that first firearm will be the only one they buy.

Which means it needs to be a handgun.  Can a handgun perform adequately as a home defense weapon?  Of course it can, for the sort of home defense most people will ever need.

Can it perform as a carry weapon?  Of course it can, where a long gun can not, generally speaking.

Can you train with a handgun in more places than a long gun?  Of course.

Is it in general cheaper to by ammo for a handgun than a long gun?  Yes, for most calibers.  (Spare me the .22 yadda yadda, please).

Can you grab and fire a handgun with one hand?  Sure.  Not so easy with a long gun.

Are handguns generally less expensive to purchase than long guns?  Yes.

All of this seems to me to militate in the direction of a handgun as a first purchase.

That said, I am as "specialized" as most serious preppers, with a variety of hand and long guns within easy reach, all purchesed with different (to some extent) roles in mind.  But my first purchase as an adult, with the purpose of self defense in mind, was a pistol.  A short barreled .38 revolver, in fact, which I still own and shoot regularly.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Cajun Napalm

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »
Model 10, and related.  Nice revolvers, if you like revolvers.  I have Dad's retirement piece; a nickle-plated Model 10 with a 3" barrel is a standard item in S&W's catalog, specifically as a presentation piece.

Yep, I have my wife's uncle's Model 10...not the nickel plated, but thes service revolver when he was on the force...its probably about 30 - 35 yrs old now if not older. Still take it out to the range 3 or 4 times a year. Think it shoots as good as the day it was issued to him...

But my first purchase as an adult, with the purpose of self defense in mind, was a pistol. 

Mine was a S+W model 66 stainless steel w/6 inch barrel... a beast of a gun. Way to bulky to conceal carry, but it would sure put the fear of God in you if you were staring into the business end of the barrel. Should have never sold that gun...

Online cd

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »
See, here we go again with the specialized weaponry considerations.

The original question was what should you buy as your first self defense firearm?...
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the words were "home defense" not "self defense." In my book, self defense is broader and can easily involve portability and concealment issues.

Let's put it this way. While I've owned a number of different handguns, including 3 revolvers (.44 Spl, .41Mag, .22LR), a 10mm auto (shot 2 deer with it), and a T/C Contender in different flavors (.45LC/.410, .357 Max, .22LR), I only recently acquired the only handgun currently in my possession, a cute little Ruger SR22. (I do plan on picking up a Glock 23.) Prior to the SR22, and after, I do not feel I was or am without adequate home defense options.

While I've got a number of guns that could be easily pressed into home defense service, some arguably specialized, if I only had a shorter-barrelled 20ga pump (which can be done sub-$300) I would not feel any exposure that a handgun could fix. (A 2nd 20ga could reduce some exposure.)

A matter of opinion, YMMV and all that.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »
For another option of a revolver-pattern, the Rossi brand S&W knock-offs (especially in stainless) aren't bad.  I have one in .357, and aside from needing a little trigger work isn't too bad to shoot.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Online cd

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »
Just ran across this link. It represents most of my thinking along these lines. I could have written most of it. (Not too thrilled about the .410 section nor the cut shells bit, but otherwise...)

Note: The background for the text is horrible. (I copied and pasted in to Notepad to read.)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the words were "home defense" not "self defense."
And for some reason you are leaving out this part:
...but my husband and I have $300 to spend and would like a handgun that we would feel comfortable shooting often (for practice) and for home protection.  We do not have anything right now.  
Aside from the fact that she is asking for handgun info, the fact that she wants to spend less than $300, and wants to feel comfortable shooting often for practice (which is simply not true or practical for most long guns), you might have a point - although I happen to disagree with the home-self defense bifurcation, myself.

And in my own personal situation, even though I do own a Remmy 870 12ga, the home defense weapon next to my bed is a Taurus PT145 automatic loaded with JHP.

The alternate next to the front door is a .357 revolver loaded with Glazer rounds.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:37:45 AM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
Huh.  I think I've probably said enough on this issue, so I'll shut up now.  ;D

Online cd

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
And for some reason you are leaving out this part:Aside from the fact that she is asking for handgun info, the fact that she wants to spend less than $300, and wants to feel comfortable shooting often for practice (which is simply not true or practical for most long guns), you might have a point - although I happen to disagree with the home-self defense bifurcation, myself.
I wasn't leaving it out. I specifically "seconded" Lang's trade-in Glock recommendation, and pointed to a place to get a CZ-82. The shotgun was an add-on comment, given that $300 spent there will buy quality protection, whereas on the handgun side quality at $300 gets ... trickier.

As for shooting often, number 1) a shotgun requires less practice to be proficient, 2) skeet and/or sporting clays ranges work. One need not be all that great at hitting moving clays, nor practice with 00 buck. Target loads are compartively cheap, allow weapon familiarization. And at inside-the-house ranges there will be negligble difference in POI, and if needed in those circumstances, the marginal recoil of 00 buck loads will be hardly noticed.

As a thought experiment, if armed thugs try busting into my home, I will certainly hope they are armed with .38 revolvers or 9mms and not shotguns.

I'll try and shut up too... ;)

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
If you're willing to deal with the possibility of sending your handgun back to the manufacturer a couple of times to get things working right, you can try Kel-Tec (cheap, original-owner lifetime warranty*) or Hi-Point (extremely cheap, lifetime warranty for anyone who owns a Hi-Point pistol**).

The good news is that, when purchased new, you can get a 9mm pistol (while both firms offer .380 ACP pistols, I wouldn't want to rely on that cartridge as a home-defense round; it's more suited for discreet concealed carry) from either of the above-mentioned firms for well under $300.  The bad news is that both firms reportedly have quality-control issues, so don't be surprised if you need to send your pistol back to the factory at least once before it works well.

Don't take this as an enthusiastic endorsement of either firms' products; I'm just pointing out other inexpensive options.

The exact warranty terms and conditions can be found in the back of the instruction manual that came with your Kel-Tec product. It usually covers defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product and for the ORIGINAL OWNER only. Only Kel-Tec manufactured products are covered by this warranty, for exact details please consult your manual or download a copy here.

All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Not all Kel-Tecs have problems out of the box.  We have several of their products, and have had no problems.

Also, Kel-Tec has no problem with owners performing their own work on their guns.  Screw it up and they'll fix it.  You generally have to pay shipping.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
Springfield also has the problem of needing to go to the factory for repairs....and they are not at all fond of owners attempting to work on them.  A good reason, IMHO, to avoid the manufacturer.

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Langenator

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
What's really odd is that the department shows as 'electronics'
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Oh, man, AT, that one is hilarious.

I'd like to comment on the picture quality but it appears to be some sort of projector based on the size and shape, and mine arrived with no lens or bulb. I looked down the tube while flipping the switch and there is definitely no light coming out.

I hope this "product: stays up long enough for a lot more comments  like this one to accumulate.  I've been laughing my rear end off.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:40:02 PM by Bill Quick »

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
While I am a firm adherent to the Church of the 1911, a trade-in Glock is a great first pistol.  I would be amazed to find one for 300 bucks though.  If I did, I'd buy 2. 

For $320 or so, you can get a S&W Sigma. Nothing fancy, nothing spectacular.  But it's a Smith and Wesson.  Quality's there.

You can also sometimes find Smith 5906 trade-ins around $300,  Fairly large and heavy but built like a tank and very reliable.  Used to be a common duty weapon.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
I just saw this advertised in the latest issue of Shotgun News

Polish MAG 98 $299.95

Now, I can't say I know the first thing about this pistol, but the Poles has a history of turning out solid, workmanlike designs that don't attract a lot of attention - their so-called Radom pistol was excellent, and they've done what probably rank as the best upgrades to the AK rifle design.  So I'm sure it's a solid pistol.  On the other hand, things like magazines would probably be a pain in the rear to find.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Musket User

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »
Not all Kel-Tecs have problems out of the box.  We have several of their products, and have had no problems.

Also, Kel-Tec has no problem with owners performing their own work on their guns.  Screw it up and they'll fix it.  You generally have to pay shipping.
Same with the Hi Points I have two that work flawlessly right out of the box.

Offline greg

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
 Ma'am, there are several Academy Sports outlets in Ok. and the have S&W Sigmas. 40 and 9mm caliber handguns listed for 299.99. They also have several .22s and 1 .380 listed at lesser prices You might check their website and see if any are near you.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
For just about anyones first hangun IMHO it should be a .22 make and model you are at ease with.
  I own a couple handguns and my favorite is a Ruger redhawk custom 5 inch brl. in 45 colt. not acp.
You dont need earplugs it has very little recoil and is as accurate a handgun as i own.
 Also own 3 .45 acp pisols a Colt 1911 full sized, a Para ord. LT-14, a Sprinfiels officers model.
Also have a Colr .22 rail gun, a Taurus 1911 in 9mm, a Colt SA in .45 colt, a Colt new service in 44-40
and a S&W in .38 sp.
  But mu gun of choice for home defense will allways be my Remington 870 riot gun. Easy to use hard to miss what you shoot at and the short brl, led light and laser make it a dream to shoot. 12 gauge of course.
...Captain Morgan...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
Well, CD will certainly agree with you about that 870, Cap!  :D

Online cd

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Well, CD will certainly agree with you about that 870, Cap!  :D
Indeed I will! ;D

I will, howsoever, generously extend my support to 20ga editions as well, though I too personally prefer the 12ga.  ;)

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
I'm glad this topic got revived. I, too, am looking for an inexpensive handgun. My Saturday Night Special fell apart.

The 3 things I'm looking for in a handgun are price (under $300 would be good but I might be able to go up to $400), .22 (anything more than that would be overkill - it's mostly for killing rabbits), & not too heavy. I'm having more problems with my hands & wrists, so if it has a slide it has to be easy to use. I'm sort of leaning to a revolver but my son says I should go with something else. What, I don't know.

I'd like some recommendations so I don't sound like a complete idiot about guns (even tho I am) when I go to the store.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
I'm glad this topic got revived. I, too, am looking for an inexpensive handgun. My Saturday Night Special fell apart.

The 3 things I'm looking for in a handgun are price (under $300 would be good but I might be able to go up to $400), .22 (anything more than that would be overkill - it's mostly for killing rabbits), & not too heavy. I'm having more problems with my hands & wrists, so if it has a slide it has to be easy to use. I'm sort of leaning to a revolver but my son says I should go with something else. What, I don't know.

I'd like some recommendations so I don't sound like a complete idiot about guns (even tho I am) when I go to the store.

A .22 handgun should be well under $400 unless you're going for a target gun.  I guess the common choices are a Ruger Mk-III,  or 22/45, a Browning Buckmark/Colt Woodsman, or similar.

Checking Gunbroker, all are in your price range.

Do you already have a defensive pistol?  A .22lr conversion kit may be the best choice...