Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Dreamfields Macaroni and Spaghetti  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Dreamfields Macaroni and Spaghetti
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
In my diabetes class, they showed us a brand of macaroni and spaghetti that Diabetics can have.  I have been purchasing these and storing them.  a serving is 1/2 cup and is only 5 carbs.

I put part of the box right in the bag so as to not get it mixed up with regular spaghetti and macaroni.
This could also be used for you low carb counters....
The Brand is called Dreamfields.
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline PAGUY

Re: Dreamfields Macaroni and Spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
What is special about this particular brand? Is it wheat or low in carbs?

Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome. FTM/PTB
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome
FTM/PTB

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Here's a link to the Dreamfields Web site.  Their FAQ states that their formulation prevents the majority of carbohydrates from being absorbed by the body.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Langenator

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »
Hmmm...good to know.  I'll have to look for it next time we go grocery shopping.

Not that we have any diabetics in the family, but the Mrs is into the whole 'primal' diet thing.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Thanks, Egg!

That sounds like it could be right up my alley!
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
Okay, I just made myself a nice dish of tomato pasta with the Dreamfields stuff.

According to their package data, plus adding in the effective carbs on the rest of the dish, I shouldn't be eating more than about fifteen effective carbs per serving.

That would not, under ordinary circumstances, be even close to enough carbs to knock me out of ketosis.  So the proof of the pudding will be if I am still turning purple on my ketone test tomorrow morning.

If so, I am suddenly able to add pasta dishes to my standard lo carb diet.  Which, frankly, would be very, very nice.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
So, one thing nobody's mentioned yet is, How'd it taste? What's the texture like?

About like regular pasta? Pretty good but no cigar? Or, better than nothing? :)
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Tastes exactly like regular pasta, in other words, just fine.  I'm awaiting tomorrow's results, and will let y'all know.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
Okay, long story short: When I got up this morning after eating my dinner of a pasta dish made with Dreamfields Pasta, my Ketostix test strips were still turning dark purple, indicating that I am still deep in ketosis - that is, burning my own fat for energy, not carbs.  This is the goal I strive for as a matter of course, and I shun anything that kicks me out of it - basically, eating too many carbs.

Now, I ate one full serving (as per the box) of the Dreamfields Penne Rigate (all that was available at the local store I went to).  The recipe was:

Two servings (dry, 4 oz total) of Dreamfields pasta (boiled almost al dente).
Eight ounces bacon ends and pieces, diced roughly.
One can chopped tomatoes (Costco brand).
Handful of dried mushrooms (Costco).
Tablespoon chopped dehydrated onions.
Garlic powder (to taste).
Red chili flakes (to taste).
Italian seasoning (to taste).

Note that all of this is from Long Term Storage, except for the bacon - although I keep a hundred pounds or so in the freezer that is hooked up to the solar power system.

Set aside the partly cooked pasta.

Fry the bacon in a pan until the fat comes up and the bacon carmelizes slightly.

Add the tomatoes, half a tomato can of water, the mushrooms, the onions, and the seasonings.  

Simmer until the mushrooms and onions have reconstituted, the spices are well absorbed, and the liquid has cooked down a bit.

The next is a trick I picked up from several SF chefs a couple of years ago:  Add the partly cooked pasta to the sauce and let it finish cooking there.

This serves to infuse the pasta with the flavors of the sauce, and thicken the sauce itself.

Voila!

I ate half of this for dinner last night.  It was delicious.  I can't tell the difference between the Dreamfields product, and regular pasta, except for the price.  The Dreamfields is spendier than what I bought and sealed in Super Pails for LTS.

The portion of pasta I ate had, according to the box, 41 total carbs, of which 5 were fiber, and 31 were what they called "protected," leaving a total of 5 "digestible" carbs.

After dinner last night, I did some research on Dreamfields, and ran across several lo-carb diet sites that said it was a fraud.  Their methodology was to eat a serving and plot their blood glucose over several hours after the meal.

I don't care about blood sugar, only about keeping myself in ketosis, but even so, I was worried after reading these reports.  But I easily stayed in ketosis.  41 carbs minus 5 carbs fiber (fiber carbs don't count for much in lo carb calculations - you can basically ignore them) leaves 36.  Add to that the carbs in the tomatoes, the dried onions, the mushrooms, etc., and the total about 50, way more than enough to kick me out of ketosis almost immediately after eating.

So, apparently, those "protected" carbs really aren't digested.  At any rate, now I can eat pasta (within reason) and stay on my diet.  Great news for me!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:34:05 AM by Bill Quick »

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
Bill-this is good news indeed...and your recipe sounds delicious!
How come all the good stuff has to be so expensive?
as for the diabetic part...all 5 of my siblings AND their spouses except 2 (my husband and one sister inlaw) are all diabetic or pre diabetic.  My mother and myself are also diabetic....none of us have had a blood sugar spike when eating this...

Now the part I'm confused is this....being a diabetic, no matter WHAT you eat, you always wait 2 hours after you eat to test your blood sugar.  Otherwise you would get a false reading.  This is how you determine what types of food will spike your blood sugar.  So I don't understand why they consider that a falsehood....

For a diabetic they reccomend a total count of 45 carbs for a woman and I think it's 60 for a man...per meal...but I have to watch this....I once ate 1/4 cup of regular pasta salad....and had a huge spike in the blood sugar...you just have to monitor your blood sugar and discover what trips it for you.

I am anxious to make a pasta salad out of the dreamfields...but have to watch the salad dressing...these are LOADED with sugar....even the fat free...

thanks auri-tech for the website...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
I am anxious to make a pasta salad out of the dreamfields...but have to watch the salad dressing...these are LOADED with sugar....even the fat free...

Remember, Egg, fat has nothing to do with blood sugar whatsoever.  In fact, prior to the 20th century, the standard treatment for diabetes was a zero carb, high fat diet.

As for salad dressings, I make my own.  That way if they need sweetening, I can use my own fake sugar.  But most salad dressings are nothing more than fat, vinegar (sometimes) and seasonings.  The sugar is unnecessary. 

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »
I do not communicate well....what I meant was just because it says fat free, doesn't mean that it's "sugar" free...they actually UP the sugar content to make them taste better...hahahaha!   Diabetics need to watch the fat free items....I have lost more weight watching the carbs, like you have done...my blood sugar finally reached 100 today, which is good...and I eat fat....bacon, sausage, red meat...and I'm healthier than I been in a long long time...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
That's great!  That's been my experience, too.

Keep it up!

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:02:11 AM »
UPDATE:  Ate the rest of the pasta I made the other day last night, and I'm still turning purple this morning on the ketostix, so the first time wasn't a fluke.  This pasta apparently works for me, so I'm buying more of it.

Your mileage may vary, of course.  Test it out on your own metabolism before buying 500 pounds of it.  ;D

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 05:23:08 PM »
Egg, The Gary Taubes book (Why We Get Fat) and the fellow from the website that ER Doc mentioned the other day, Peter Attia   http://eatingacademy.com/start-here   both contend that foods labeled low fat or fat free are some of the worst things out there for spiking your blood sugar. I can't site the exact passages right at the minute, but I read it in both places.

The advice was that if it's labeled low fat or fat free it's probably best to just avoid it.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
Agree 100% old guy...I think the "fat free" thing is a joke...not good for anyone...hahahah!

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
Some additional thoughts/questions on the topic:

~ I checked the Fort We-Gotcha commissary's shelves, and they do stock several varieties of Dreamfields pasta, @ $1.99 per box.  A bit pricey, but not exorbitant...

~ Since most of the carbohydrate content in Dreamfields pasta is "protected" from digestion, what is the effective calorie content of Dreamfields pasta?

~ Does eating Dreamfields pasta have any unusual effects on the digestive system, compared to eating regular* pasta?  The company's FAQ does state that the "protected carbohydrates then pass to the colon where they are fermented," which leads me to wonder what effect such a large amount of fermenting carbs in the colon might have....  :o

*Pun intended, of course...  ;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
Does eating Dreamfields pasta have any unusual effects on the digestive system, compared to eating regular* pasta? 

To be blunt, I experienced a bit of gas.  Not an enormous amount, though, and the second serving seemed to bring a lesser reaction.