Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: So...I Spent A Relaxing Evening With My Guns  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

Re: So...I Spent A Relaxing Evening With My Guns
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
Just spent some time on the Iver-Johnson 410.   Bore looks real good.  I'll spray the action with brake cleaner tomorrow and see what's what.  I think it will end up being a good little shooter, though.

So that gives me a run of long guns from a pair of .22s - semi and bolt - a 410, a 12 ga, then a .223, and finally my SMLE 303.  I think that gives me enough versatility.  Maybe.  A 20 ga might be nice, though.

Now as to handguns...

.25, .32, .38, .357, and .45.  I'd like another .45, to tell the truth.  And maybe another .357.

And a few thousand more rounds of ammo.  Given that at the moment it's illegal to buy mail order ammo in San Francisco, that may take a bit of thought.

Drive across the bridge (any bridge) and open a box at the UPS store, or better yet a private business mailbox.

Order ammo and have it delivered there.

Tell the City Council of San Francisco to put it where only gerbils go.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »
Well, to be honest, gerbils and San Francisco supervisors.  A lot of them, at least.  ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
I think an address in South San Francisco, San Bruno, or Colma would do the same trick with no need for bridge tolls.  OK, maybe not Colma.

BTW, Bill...did you call the cops about the firefight?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
One or more of each shotguns in each gage makes this impractical advice.
???

My point is that I wouldn't recommend getting a 20ga as a second shotgun after the 12ga. (The .410 doesn't really count as shotgun in my book.) Better off with a second 12ga, preferably the same model.

Quote from: Drang
However.  As an explanation, a 20ga round will slide right through the chamber of a 12ga shotgun, and into the bore, where it will eventually hang up.  You will be able to chamber a 12 ga round, but the 20 ga. shell blocking the bore will cause an explosion. 
Exactly. In the context of prepping, I can't think of a compelling need for a 20ga when you already have a 12ga--or vice versa, for that matter. IOW, if say, one's wife much preferred the 20ga over the 12ga, standardize on the 20ga. No biggee.

By all means, I would that everyone had 5 of everything, but as a practical matter, stocking only one of the two makes economic sense and helps avoid mixup-related ka-booms.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 07:08:35 PM »
BTW, Bill...did you call the cops about the firefight?

I called 911. They said they'd send a unit.

I never saw one, though.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »

<<snip>>

In the context of prepping, I can't think of a compelling need for a 20ga when you already have a 12ga--or vice versa, for that matter. IOW, if say, one's wife much preferred the 20ga over the 12ga, standardize on the 20ga. No biggee.

<<snip>>

I can think of one good reason for having at least one shotgun in a given prepper's non-preferred gauge: to maximize the chance of finding shotgun shells in a usable gauge, once things go to Fort Polk in a hand-basket.  That being said, I suggest that the shotgun in one's non-preferred gauge be a single-shot break-action shotgun; this should minimize the risk of loading the wrong shell, thus minimizing the risk of a ka-boom:o
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Aside from the question of the logistics of "standardizing" on calibers/gages for firearms in a household, when looking at an extended family or mutual aid group, the idea becomes doubtful.  "What?  You have a 16 gauge shotgun?  That's it, you're out of the group!"   ::)

I think it would be more practical to practice checking for proper gauge when loading.  Use side-saddles, butt cuffs, belt mounted shell holders, or even a bandoleer, triple-check gauge when loading them, and only load from them.

...once things go to Fort Polk in a hand-basket.
Ewwwwww!!!
That being said, I suggest that the shotgun in one's non-preferred gauge be a single-shot break-action shotgun; this should minimize the risk of loading the wrong shell, thus minimizing the risk of a ka-boom:o
The ease of loading a break-action might actually work against you there.  The specific example of 20 ga shell in 12 ga shotgun I am aware of involved a father who put his son's 20 ga shells in his pocket, and then slipping by accident into the breech of his 12 ga side-by-side (break-action) scattergun. 
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 08:50:42 AM »
So, maybe do like the Brits did with the .30-06 rifles we sent them as emergency Lend Lease in 1940-41, and paint big red warning stripes on the non-standard guns?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline cd

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Aside from the question of the logistics of "standardizing" on calibers/gages for firearms in a household, when looking at an extended family or mutual aid group, the idea becomes doubtful.  "What?  You have a 16 gauge shotgun?  That's it, you're out of the group!"   ::)
Well, the context I was addressing was more of an individual situation, like like Mr. Bill, who didn't have several different chamberings. There just isn't a compelling need* for 20ga in addition to 12ga, or vice versa. A second 12ga (same model, two is one, one is none) is pretty compelling IMHO.

As to a MAG, if everyone keeps their stuff separate, fine and dandy. But if ammo and arms are kept together and accessible by various folk of various levels of knowledge and attention to detail, well, I think your kaboom exposure goes up, not down.

As to the need for a spare gun to shoot scavanged ammo, if it comes to needing to shoot scavanged ammo, I would think scavanged single-shot shotguns would be available as well. (I could see an argument for having rifles in alternate chamberings, with preferred sights, sighted in, known condition, etc., but shotguns, especially single-shots, aren't precision instruments.)

* Depending, of course, how one defines "compelling." I don't have a "compelling" need for a .44Mag lever gun, but it sorta fits. To each their own.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
You know, when some of our friends were getting ready to PCS from Bragg to Campbell, they tried to find themselves a MAG, or at least a group of like minded prepper folk to work/communicate with.

The one group they found said that to be a part of the group, they had to have an AK klone for each adult.

Now, I can see that there are a lot of plusses to having at least some standardization of firearms, but I don't think I'd exclude folks just because they didn't have a specific kind of gun.  (And, if the S hits the F bad enough, I figure a combat experienced infantry NCO would be a definite asset, no matter what kind of gun he has.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline cd

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
You know, when some of our friends were getting ready to PCS from Bragg to Campbell, they tried to find themselves a MAG, or at least a group of like minded prepper folk to work/communicate with.

The one group they found said that to be a part of the group, they had to have an AK klone for each adult.
Sounds to me like a bit of control-freakery there. Would be a red flag for me.

Quote from: Langenator
Now, I can see that there are a lot of plusses to having at least some standardization of firearms, but I don't think I'd exclude folks just because they didn't have a specific kind of gun.  (And, if the S hits the F bad enough, I figure a combat experienced infantry NCO would be a definite asset, no matter what kind of gun he has.)
I agree.

I'm not trying to be dogmatic about it, but all else equal, the marginal benefit to having both 20ga and 12ga is pretty darn small and does not overcome the marginal kaboom exposure.

There isn't comparable risk mixing 7.62x39 and .556 ...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
I'm inclining towards cd's argument.  Rather than buy a 20ga, I think I'll put any further shotgun money toward another 12ga.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
I'm inclining towards cd's argument.  Rather than buy a 20ga, I think I'll put any further shotgun money toward another 12ga.

I've been thinkin' I might just 'need' one of those double barrel Stoeger coach guns in 12 ga. That'd make a mighty fine little house gun. A good backup for the 870, or maybe the other way around.

Short, light, easy to handle and there ain't too many people out there that want to stare down a 12 ga double barrel.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline cd

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
I've been thinkin' I might just 'need' one of those double barrel Stoeger coach guns in 12 ga. That'd make a mighty fine little house gun. A good backup for the 870, or maybe the other way around.

Short, light, easy to handle and there ain't too many people out there that want to stare down a 12 ga double barrel.
They would be handy inside a house. Every time I start to rationalize it, I keep coming back to getting another 870. Maybe if I already had two 870s... Interchangeable barrels + interchangeable chokes + 5 plus capacity keep bringing me back to the pump. :-[

But those coach guns are short, brain-dead simple to operate (especially in single trigger flavors with internal, not external, hammers) and you definitely won't short-shuck one of them. Probably a decent choice for a "hand-out" gun to an inexperienced user.

All I need is a big $$$ windfall...  ;)

Offline Langenator

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
Well, you can generally find used 870s for around $200 or so, although around here those tend to be of the hunting flavor with long dove/duck/turkey barrels.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
Well, you can generally find used 870s for around $200 or so, although around here those tend to be of the hunting flavor with long dove/duck/turkey barrels.

Yep, and you can pick up an 18 inch (smooth) Remington barrel for another 130.00. IIRC my Mossberg barrel (for a Remington 870) was closer to 100. Changing them out is very simple, takes 5 minutes tops. That's what I've got leaning up in the corner right now.

Still might pick up a coach gun though, just because I can :)
O.G.

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline cd

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
Yep, and you can pick up an 18 inch (smooth) Remington barrel for another 130.00. IIRC my Mossberg barrel (for a Remington 870) was closer to 100. Changing them out is very simple, takes 5 minutes tops. That's what I've got leaning up in the corner right now.
Yep. My 870 is a Remingberg ... or Mossington ... too.  8) The Mossberg barrel was $90 or so at a gunshow. Shoots rifled slugs better than I had hoped, also.

Quote from: oldguy52
Still might pick up a coach gun though, just because I can :)
I hope to join you some day. :)

I've held one, they also have an over/under flavor around the same price point with rifle-like sights. I might be tempted in that direction.

Whichever, if you get one, please give us (read: me!) your impressions.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
Whichever, if you get one, please give us (read: me!) your impressions.

I'm going down Monday I think to pick up a Ruger LCR .357. Last time I was in that shop he had a coach gun on the shelf. If he still has it I may add it to the pile. It's still possible that good sense will get the better of me before that. :)
O.G.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

I think last time I looked at Academy they were like $80 or $90.  One of my 870s came with an 18.5" barrel and lives in the bedroom closet.  The other has a longer barrel and gets used for 3-gun.

So at this point I'm sticking with 12ga 870s if I make any further pump shotgun purchases just for the sake of standardization.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Still, if anybody can point me in the right direction for a complete takedown of this rifle, (Remington Model 34, boltie, tube mag, .22 LR, I'd much appreciate it.

Try Rediscovered Shooting Treasures
(h/t Bobbi.)
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
I also spent the day cleaning my firearms.
Shotguns I own are as follows
Remington 870 12 ga, riot gun with light and laser.
Remington 870 wingmaster with custom 36 inch brl choked .640
Remington 870 WM with a 36 inch SS bull brl choked to .638
Remington 58 16 ga. semi auto
Winchester 1897 12 ga. Completed a 100% restore great shooting gun.
Ithica 37 20.Ga pump
Winchester super X 12 GA. pump
Montgomery wards Hercules 16Ga. double brl with 16.5 inch brls
E.R. Amantino Uplander 20 ga. Dbl Brl with screw in chokes
Baikal Coach gun 12 ga. 20 inch Dbl. Brl out side hammers.
Rifles
Uberti modle 66 sporting rifle lever action 45 colt cal.
Winchester Modle 1894 in 38/55 with 26 inch brl. Completed 100% restoration nice old rifle
Marlin modle 1893 in 38/55 lever action
U.S. Springfield Carbine 45/70 mfg. 1876
winchester modle 1906 pump action .22
Armi-sport sharps 45/70 34 inch brl a Turnbull custom gun
Remingtom 770 scoped .308 bolt action
DPMS  A-15  .223-5.56mm with light, laser and scope
Ruger 10-22 full laminate stock and SS finish
Ruger 10-22 carbine
New England firearms SB-2 handi rifle in >44 mag.
Handguns
Springfield Champion .45 acp
Para Ordanance 14.45 LDA Stainless
Walther. Colt rail gun in .22 LR
Taurus PT 1911 in 9mm
Ruger decocker in 9MM
Smith and Wesson 15-3 in .38 special
Smith and Wesson .32 D.A. 2nd model in .32 S&W
Colt S.A. Army in nickle .45colt
Got em all cleaned and back in the safe and gun cabnet. Tommorrow I get to inventory my ammo. Should have around 25,000 rounds of everything but like to get a count a couple times a year.
  I for one see nothing wrong with you adding a 20 gauge shotgun. I own 12,16 and 20 gauge and my daughter has a .410. In the dark I can tell a 20 from a 12 and a 16 from a 20.
  Get ready for the worst and pray for the best!

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
I need more ammo.

But then, who doesn't?

Offline Langenator

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 08:28:46 AM »
And a lot of the more popular calibers have been harder to get the last few weeks...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
And a lot of the more popular calibers have been harder to get the last few weeks...

If only ammunition scarcity in "the more popular calibers" in today's post-Newtown world was anything like what we, in retrospect, enjoyed in late November 2012....  :'(
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »
I need more ammo.

But then, who doesn't?

Ha ha... Do I need more ammo OR do I merely want more ammo?   ;D
O.G.