Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: garlic  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

garlic
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
I love garlic and it's fairly easy to grow.
The interesting thing about it is this, in our area, we plant the bulbs in November.  My fingers get a little numb planting them because it's COLD. Hahahah!
Then in the spring time, they are one of the first crops to pop through the ground.

Garlic growing in the garlic bed

garlic will grow a curly cue on the top which is called a scape, soon after this, you will see a flower bulb appear, at this time, you want to bend tops down.  This will produce a larger garlic bulb.
garlic flower bulbs

bent stalks

At the end of July, the bent stalks will start to die off and turn brown.  This is when you want to pull them out of the ground.

We leave the stems on and then put the bulbs on a table on the porch out of the sun. I cover them with a light sheet to keep the sun off them.  I let them dry for a week or so to condition them for storage.
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Langenator

Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »
My garlic was a complete washout last year (and my onions this year).

I'm wondering if I'm just living in places that are too hot.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline PAGUY

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
If I understand it right a six month growing cycle?

Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome. FTM/PTB
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome
FTM/PTB

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
 Langenator:  I'm not sure about the heat thing....some of the best garlic I ever saw came from outside of Brownsville, Texas.  That' where my dad was born.  There is a guy I know there, whom used to live in PA and he used to travel up here before he died.  He would raise the best garlic I have ever seen.  As for mine this year.  These plants were actually bulbs that I missed pulling last year.  And this year is the best harvest I have ever had.  I might try to leave them for a 2 year cycle again, and see if I get the same results.

PAGUY-My greatgrandfather left quite a few journals about his chickens and gardening.  This is how he planted his garlic.  I'm not sure if others plant it this way or not.

What say you folks?  How do you plant your garlic.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
I also grow my own Garlic and have for 3 years. Its about as easy a crop to grow that I know of.
  Onions make sure you plant the right kind for your area, there are short day and long day onions.
Also I seem to get better storage onions from plants not bulbs.
  You might try Egyptian walking onions they are as easy to grow as weeds! And you can use the whole plant if you want. Even the seed heads are good to eat or cook with.
...Captain Morgan...

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
ditto on the Egyptian walking onions....I think I have a pic of them somewhere on this site....hahahaha!

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
I've got walking onions that were given to me. And boy - do they ever "walk!" The problem is that I've never used them & haven't really tried. Do they dry well?
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline xtron

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
i bought a pack of gatlic today at wally world.  been wanting to try some for a few years now, just never could find any at the right time of year.
i'll put them in the ground...as soon as the ground thaws enough for me to dig.
weird weather we have been having..monday was 60 degrees,tuesday it snowed, wensday rain and flooding, friday morning it wad 9 degrees and icy...and today(saturday) it's snowing.
oh well 60 and counting till seeds are going in the ground