Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: How Long Did that Civil Defense LTS Stuff Last?  (Read 7803 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
How Long Did that Civil Defense LTS Stuff Last?
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
Hidden Cold War cache re-discovered at Auburn’s Placer High - Auburn Journal
he country had a plan in place for when the bombers arrived or the missiles started dropping. Even Auburn.

In the Earl Crabbe Gym basement, civil defense workers stored canisters of water, hard-tack biscuits and toiletries in anticipation of an attack from the skies that never came.

Over the years, the room was locked up, ignored and then forgotten.

In the past week, however, the cache of containers with the once-common “CD” civil defense emblem were re-discovered by volunteers working to repaint the high school’s weight-lifting room.

Wednesday, some of them were marveling at what they had found in a room that time appeared to have forgotten. Stacks of biscuit containers, tongue depressors, bandages, commode liners, plastic cups, and even containers of clear water were neatly stacked, all seemingly awaiting the day students would be rushed from their classes to escape a nuclear attack.
The usual nitwits just want to toss it, but it would certainly be interesting to test everything and see what, if anything, is still good.  I'd really like to know what the real-world shelf life of this stuff was.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: How Long Did that Civil Defense LTS Stuff Last?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
They should sell it.  Highly collectible. Somewhere I stumbled on--but didn't bookmark!--a forum in which guys were "exploring" urban bomb shelters, and cataloging (keeping?) old CD supplies.

ETA: 1967: Civil Defense Club
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »
The hard candy is probably still good, as is the water (if anyone wanted to try it).  The biscuits (crackers) not so much:  The cans were coated inside with some sort of animal fat that went rancid....

And some of the medical gear is quite valuable (to a collector) now, the rest may well be dangerous.  Cans of ether ether, in particular, if present (they were common in CD medical kits) could be quite explosive now, and should anyone ever find a can (quart rectangular cans with pour spouts) DONT TRY AND OPEN THEM.

The ether (diethyl ether) forms diethyl ether peroxide which is incredibly shock sensitive and explodes.....
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Online AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
And some of the medical gear is quite valuable (to a collector) now, the rest may well be dangerous.  Cans of ether ether, in particular, if present (they were common in CD medical kits) could be quite explosive now, and should anyone ever find a can (quart rectangular cans with pour spouts) DONT TRY AND OPEN THEM.

The ether (diethyl ether) forms diethyl ether peroxide which is incredibly shock sensitive and explodes.....

Stupid Ether Bunny...  >:( ;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline PAGUY

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
I would definitely try to sell it and make some money off of it. The market is flooded with these types of items but, most are in terrible condition.

Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome. FTM/PTB
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome
FTM/PTB