Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Practice gardening  (Read 4450 times)

Offline BooMushroom

Re: Practice gardening
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
Well, the summer heat has broken, and I'm bringing in more than a pound of vegetables a day now. Getting the family to eat them has been harder than anticipated. But I have gotten them from one veggie a week to as much as three or four some weeks. But I'm gaining experience, improving our diet, and decreasing our grocery bill. here's what I have above and beyond what we have eaten:

The tomatoes have been pretty disappointing this year.  Lots split, or went bad while green, or are all spotty.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
Well, about a week ago, all of my potato plants died, so I stopped watering that box to let them firm up. I decided to dig up some potatoes now, as I see a soup upcoming on the menu. This was from unimproved soil, just turned with a hoe, and burying some sprouted potatoes from the store. I dug up about 5sqft worth of the box, which held two plants, and was pleased to discover that I successfully made food! I think if I had used some compost or cut the potatoes into eyes, I could've done better.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
The weatherman says rain is finally coming, so I decided to dig my potatoes today. I have already dug a few, as I wanted to use them, but today was time to get them all.

I ended up getting a total of 1lb, 12oz of new potatoes, out of the last 3/5 of the box. And some burrowing rodent got some, too, as there were tunnels under the box that I collapsed as I dug!

The first frost came last night, and killed my squashes, too. I'll harvest those tomorrow morning.  Six plants gave me 20-30 pounds of various squash this year. I may have to get the peppers, too. I got about a dozen bell peppers from two plants.

I'll have to see about frost-tolerant winter veggies, from the store. My seed-starting in the window is currently not producing much, but I have 3 pea plants that are thriving despite the cold.

I'll tumble my compost one last time, and mix it in to the soil of the empty box, and hope for improved yields next year.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
I am in zone 6, and am lucky to live on 1.5 acre lot at the edge of a small town.
  We grow most of the veggies we eat all year. This year we canned 150 jars of Grn. Beans, tomatoes and tomatoe products. Peppers hot and mild. Also we grow and store our Potatoes, Onions and Garlic. Also have Black berrys, Pear tree, Persimmion tree and apples.
  I enjoy my garden and even if I wasnt a prepper I would have a garden. No additives in my food and taste is way better than store bought.
...Captain Morgan...

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
thumbs up on the no additives and tastes better....
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Well, I haven't posted much on my garden this year, so Ill give an update.

Starting seeds indoors just didn't work out with the small scale I was trying out, so I'm back to direct sowing, and purchasing pre-started plants.  Maybe this summer I can find some scraps and build a greenhouse that will suffice.

I purchased lots of plants this year, hoping for some small wins. I've got lots of squashes and strawberries, as well as Japanese eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes and basil, chives.  I also got a bag each of potato and onion starts.

Most of my purchased plants look fantastic, though either snails or ants have been munching. Instead of planting a few of each seed, I decided to plant sixteen per square foot, assuming I'd have losses through defective seeds, defective gardening, and predators. I was right :)

In my "square foot" garden, the lettuce is doing very well, and I have some spinach and broccoli that are promising. There are beginnings to some carrots, and some small pea plants.  I've actually lost a quarter of my spinach already (a whole square).

I'm going to have to figure out how to guard against snails and ants.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
I think that I see your problem, Boo.  You've obviously got that there garden upside down.  Gravity is working against you ;D

I bet it'd work great in Australia, though.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Starting seeds indoors just didn't work out with the small scale I was trying out, so I'm back to direct sowing, and purchasing pre-started plants.  Maybe this summer I can find some scraps and build a greenhouse that will suffice.
Boo, I'm an ignoramus when it comes to gardening (which is yet another reason I stockpile so much food), but could you tell me why the scale of your efforts at indoor seed growing didn't work out?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
Boo- I'm sure you told us before...but WHERE are you located....I am envious....we can't even think about plants until Memorial Day.  By the end of the month I can squeek in the peas and some early potatoes....onions and such....but we probably are giving the garden a rest this year.....

also, please tell us like Bill asked, what happened with your indoor seeds?   I don't have a greenhouse, and start all my seeds inside....maybe we can help....

Razorback...that was funny...

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Boo, you want me to fix that pic for you?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline TCC

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
Boo, Copper strips work for me to guard against slugs.  Put around new plants & slugs won't cross them...something to do with conductivity and their mucus???  Various garden stores (and Lee Valley) have them in long very thin strips.  I have several raised beds in my garden but the slugs still find a way to get to seedlings if I don't protect them with copper.  And being on the wet Coast we have LOTS of slugs.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 12:18:10 AM »
Boo, I'm an ignoramus when it comes to gardening (which is yet another reason I stockpile so much food), but could you tell me why the scale of your efforts at indoor seed growing didn't work out?

Because my scale was a little tray of seeds in peat pots in an eastward-facing window.  The natural light from the east just wasn't enough, and though most of them sprouted, they all grew up spindly and fell over dead.  I didnt want to buy grow-lights. My house doesn't have any south-facing windows, and installing one isn't currently an option, so it will have to be something purpose-built outside.  I've got some single-pane aluminum framed windows sitting around and I think I can cobble something together over the next few months.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:57 AM »
Boo- I'm sure you told us before...but WHERE are you located....I am envious....we can't even think about plants until Memorial Day.  By the end of the month I can squeek in the peas and some early potatoes....onions and such....but we probably are giving the garden a rest this year.....

Egg, I'm in the Central Valley in California. It's Zone 9, and our last frost date is 2/15.  Snow is pretty much unheard of here, and any day where it dips below freezing at night is noteworthy. I think I only saw frozen-over puddles twice this winter.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
Boo, Copper strips work for me to guard against slugs.  Put around new plants & slugs won't cross them...something to do with conductivity and their mucus???  Various garden stores (and Lee Valley) have them in long very thin strips.  I have several raised beds in my garden but the slugs still find a way to get to seedlings if I don't protect them with copper.  And being on the wet Coast we have LOTS of slugs.
Awesome!  I'll look into it. If I can just do the border of the raised bed, I might.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
I have actually gotten some lettuce and spinach to grow this year! These are direct sown seed, planted in February.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Whoa!  Those look great!  How many plants do you have growing altogether?

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
Whoa!  Those look great!  How many plants do you have growing altogether?

I planted 64 of each, and have about 32 lettuce and 24 spinach.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
 Here in PDARK it's still pretty cold...while it's starting to warm up, the forecast for the end of the week is still below 40F for a high.  I still have snow on the front lawn, although thats mostly from the driveway being cleared.

Last year at this time it was in the 70's.....  We had our potatoes, tomatoes and berries in the ground.  So far, nothing at all.  I haven't even built my square foot beds yet since it's still so cold.  I don't know how much I will be able to grow this year with the late start.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
Yesterday it was in the seventies. Today it hit 85 degrees!  My squash seeds decided it would be a great time to sprout. This is what REAL "green shoots" look like.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
What kind of squash is that, TsM?

I do eat squash occasionally on my low-carb diet.  It's fine, as long as I don't overdo it.  I usually slather it with lots of butter. ;D

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
What kind of squash is that, TsM?

I do eat squash occasionally on my low-carb diet.  It's fine, as long as I don't overdo it.  I usually slather it with lots of butter. ;D

Acorn squash. They are especially good when halved and filled with ground beef and salsa and baked ;)  I got about a dozen from one plant last year.

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
A project started well over a year ago is finally bearing fruit... so to speak :)
This is purchased already started, but it's a perennial, so it should last a long time!

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
Victory!  A bowl full of lettuce, grown from seed, harvested from my garden.  I could have gotten more, but we just needed some for tacos.  My family was impressed with how tender it was :D

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
Wow!  That looks great!

Even better, now you know you can grow it from seed!

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 12:16:38 AM »
The food budget is, well short this week. Pretty much non-existent. To be specific, we've got $20 for groceries to get us through the week. This would be a catastrophe for some. But I have a pantry with STS food, some LTS, and a garden. So we'll be okay. Split pea soup for dinner tomorrow, fine, canned carrots, canned ham, fine. Onions. No onions!  But I have them growing in the garden :)

They're still young, grown from starts, but I grew them for food, and I need them now.  So I went out and pulled two of them. The bulbs were very small, but the greens were large, and I know they are edible. Seriously tasty! Looks like they will contribute more towards flavor and nutrition than bulk, but it's hard to argue flavor and nutrition.

The larger greens will be going on my sandwiches over the next few days, the bulb and the smaller greens will go in the slow cooker in the morning.