Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Considering a purchase  (Read 1751 times)

Offline cd

Re: Considering a purchase
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
Those almost certainly were state requirements.  IIRC, in order to hunt Pennsylvania's muzzleloader season, you have to use a flintlock. (Thus Thompson-Center's fiberglass stock, stainless steel, flintlock Hawken.) (I was told that Colorado's muzzleloader season almost had the same requirement, but the Department of Wildlife or whatever it's called asked a bunch of guys who weren't rigid traditionalists before they asked the ones who demanded that your "garb" at "rondy" be hand sewn from fabric hand spun and woven at home...)
Correct on the muzzleloader season, and yes, I was referring to PA specific regs.

At one point I had a T/C Contender with a stock/forend and a 16" (with muzzle break) .45-70 barrel. At one point it wasn't legal for me to use up there for deer hunting, again IIRC.

In the case of the flintlock requirement, that was partly due to an attempt to restrict the season to purists. Deer hunting in most of PA (at least back then) is nigh unto a religious event. The first day of buck season (only two weeks long, and half the deer dropped in the 1st half hour of light on the first day) was officially no school where I grew up. If percussion muzzleloaders were permitted, that would require another school holiday.  :D

Buck season consisted, if you didn't tag one at daybreak, of a sea of orange-clad chaps wandering about, pushing the same group of 6 does (no buck) from orange dude to orange dude like a pinball.

The populations are higher now, and it appears much regulation has been liberalized, so to speak.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
Correct. But IIRC way back (25+ years) there used to be a requirement that a rifle barrel for hunting be 18" (2" above the federal minimum) and a big game caliber had to be over .224. I just checked, and neither of those appear to be current.

Well, a minimum caliber of .224 would at least provide a reason for my postulated 5.75mm Haiku cartridge to exist, as it would translate to approximately .226 caliber.  ;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline cd

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
If I dust off the cobwebs of my memory, the consensus of folk I hunted with back then (I was just learning) was that the game commission was correct to exclude the .223, but that it was a shame that the .22-250 was excluded as well.

After a failed experiment with a de facto smoothbore 8mm Mauser, I went with a 6mm Rem, in 788 flavor, at .243 in.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Remington also has a Marine shotgun. The 870 its a great gun I have owned a couple in the past.