Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: This Year's Veggies are in Containers  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Langenator

This Year's Veggies are in Containers
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Because the house we rented has nowhere else to plant a garden.

I got the big buckets for the potatoes on clearance from Walmart for $4 each.

Yukon golds, grown from last year's crop

New types, from potatogarden.com

And tomatoes and onions.  I cheated an bought those already sprouted from Lowe's

Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Amisheggpicker

Re: This Year's Veggies are in Containers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
Awesome and can't wait to see pics of your boys gardening....I love your determination...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
Grrr....something (something I can't see) is eating my potato plants.  Not cool.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
What are you using for soil, Lang?
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
Potting soil from the big blue hardware store.  There's nowhere in the yard I could dig up for dirt.

So the economics of the whole thing are horrible.  It'll cost me well north of $50 to grow maybe $10 worth of potatoes.  But I'm just working on learning different techniques for now.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Cajun Napalm

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
50 bucks is cheap for any knowledge gained...check out the cost of a 3 hour credit class at your local CC.

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »
absoutely agree with cajun napalm.....the knowledge you are learning and teaching your children is priceless....

What's that old proverb...give a man fish and you will feed him for a day...teach him to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime...

I think that applies to your situation...

Offline Langenator

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
I hope to have some newer pics soon...most of the potatoes are ready to dig up.  And I got some tomatoes off one plant.

Also, the Mrs. planted some herbs in the planter area in the front yard. Mint, basil, cilantro, parsley, sage.  Nothing that's really going to keep you alive, but stuff that might make one's survival food a bit more interesting to eat.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
First dig for this year's potatoes

The light colored ones are Yukon Golds, started from seed potatoes saved from last year's batch, in NC.

The red ones are LaRouges I got from PotatoGarden.com

I have one bucket/pot of LaRouges left and two of Kennebecs that still have green leaves, so I'm not digging them up just yet.

I think they might have done better (the LaRouges) if I had planted them earlier, especially since we had a super mild winter (I think we had frost once, maybe twice) and warm weather quite early.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
nice...hard to believe folks are digging spuds, and ours are just coming up....hahahah!

Offline Langenator

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Actually, given our especially mild winter...I could have planted them a month earlier.

I plan on planting them in mid-late January next year, so hopefully they'll be ready to dig up before it's time to move on to the next duty station.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »
You miht try this method on your potatoes. Get a five gallon bucket, check dumpsters around building sites if you find any they are free. 1 bag of garden soil and a bag of sand. Also a bale of straw.
  Drill or punch some holes for drainage in the bottom of your bucket or buckets. Mix the sand and the soil togethor and put some in the bottom of the bucket. Lay your seed potatoes in the bottom on the dirt mix. Next cover the seed tater with more of your mix. Thats it keep watered a your spud plants grow and straw to the bucket keep adding as they grow till yur ucket is full andkeep em watered.
 Your potatoe will be larger and much easier to grow and pick. Also you dont have to spend so much money on dirt.
    If you want you can dd peat moss to the mix potatoes seem to like peat moss as it is a bit on the acid side.
Be carefull abour reusuin this years dirt as it may harber diesese that could ruin your crop.
  Good luck and happy sud growing. Also Tomatoes are very easy to grow in 5 gal. pails, as are many oher plants

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
The markets in the US and Canada are closed today so I had some time to explore the idea of 'bucket' gardening.  We have plenty of room for garden beds, but I've been looking into building some greenhouses to extend the growing season and that's an entirely different realm.

There is so-o-o-o much available on YouTube in terms of gardening instructional that one's head begins to spin and I intend a more thorough search, but these two ideas struck me as eminently practical.  Both use inexpensive rain gutters (and I have a stack of 'em here).

This one is an automatic watering system using 5-gallon buckets for planting and gutters for water delivery.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1kIaJvpdTg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q1kIaJvpdTg</a>

This vid shows the use of gutters for planting.  What makes it interesting is the use of roof deicing cable for bottom heat.  The home improv. stores discount this cable at the end of the winter season, just in time for early spring planting.  No need to buy the more expensive cables specifically sold for garden use.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/51te8HQ8zdg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/51te8HQ8zdg</a>

Both vids are just quick examples I found.  There are many, many more following these themes.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »
One downside I've discovered to the use of plastic tubs, intended for indoor storage, as outdoor planters: sunlight weakens the plastic pretty quick.

Combine that with kids who like to play outside on the patio, and the containers are no longer useable.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline ColoConsrvCowboy

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
One downside I've discovered to the use of plastic tubs, intended for indoor storage, as outdoor planters: sunlight weakens the plastic pretty quick.

Combine that with kids who like to play outside on the patio, and the containers are no longer useable.

I live at about 6,000 feet ASL. I can guarantee that any plastic container will be deteriorated by our intense sunlight (high UV) here ver quickly. I use wood for most containers.

Frank

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
"sunlight weakens the plastic pretty quick."

Bah!  So paint 'em!

...or just toss 'em out and get more.  I have stacks of 5-gal buckets--all glommed for free.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
I plan on tossing them...I'm moving in June, so it's not like I could plant much this year, anyway.

And I'm not going to haul containers full of dirt with me.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline ND Martin

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
Move dirt?  Not unless you're a vampire.  ;-))

I've done a bit of poking around with regard to vertical 'tater growing and will put what I found in a new topic.