Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: beyond yogurt  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
beyond yogurt
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
Digger had mentioned that using powdered milk makes for a richer thicker yogurt....I haven't tried that yet...but will in the next few days...making yogurt with just plain milk makes a thinner yogurt...and sometimes it can be slightly runny.

I am highly interested in trying the powdered milk recipe out because it would be something you could make straight from your prepper supplies....
AND there is a lot of things you can do with yogurt...surprisingly....

First, I'm going to show you how to make creamcheese/sourcream from the homemade yogurt.

Take a coffee filter and place in a colander.  Then put your yogurt in the coffee filter.  Place colander in a pan or in a bowl....I let this sit overnight in the refrigerator to drain off the liquid (whey)

Drained yogurt

Whey (save this for fermenting other foods-which is another post)

Now scrape off your cream cheese into a container.

This is excellent to use when needing sour cream....our favorite thing to eat for a snack is this....layer tortilla chips, chili, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese and then top with this sour cream...

ok so I saw a few recipes using this cream cheese to make cheese cake...and I thought I would try it.  I have to post the results tomorrow night because my computer had to be cleaned out because I got a virus....and I have no herbal remedy for that...hahahaha!   I don't have the software put back on for downloading pics....but I will have that up and running tomorrow.     

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Digger

Re: beyond yogurt
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
I purchased a small unit that has a screen for making yogurt cheese. Everything is reusable, but it costs more to get started. Even a hour or two 'drain' makes a big difference -- not only firmer, but milder.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
do you have any pics digger of your screen?

I'm just now getting my software downloaded...and it's 10 pm and I have to go to bed...I need to get up at 4:30....so the pics of the cheesecake will be again delayed!   But I have a bunch of things to make with this yogurt cheese/sourcream....anxious to try them out....

Offline CERDIP

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »
...standing by with blueberries & blueberry sauce for the cheesecake...
Keep Cool, But Do Not Freeze.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
Come sit with us on the porch Cerdip....were finally ready to eat! (or my program is finally loaded on..hahah!)

Ok so this cheesecake was made with the creamcheese/sour cream that was made from draining the homemade yogurt.

Notes on cheesecake: 

1.  It tastes more like the non baked cheesecake that you make from condensed sweetened milk, creamcheese and lemonjuice.

2.  I need to use MORE of the creamcheese/sourcream mixture....this wasn't high enough for our liking...

3.  Has slightly tart taste

I'm anxious to try Diggers method with the powdered milk....when making this cheesecake....after I see how that turns out, I then going to get daring and substitute the unflavored gelatin for the eggs in the recipe...

Guinea Pig or rather husbands opinion is that it's ok, but he would rather have my regular recipe....I think we can work with this to get it close to what we usually bake...we are trying to adapt our recipes to strictly using items from our food storage.  This way in a crisis situation, we will still be able to enjoy what we usually eat.  I guess I tend to agree with Kellene, that woman on Doomsday preppers....I don't want to slack on my food....I want to eat WELL....

Note about using food storage supplies.....NOTHING tastes as good as fresh home made food....one of my families favorite foods is goulash...or some folks around here call it Johnny Marzetti....  All it is is hamburger or sausage, onions, green peppers, an Italian tomato sauce mixed with macaroni.....I have made a dehydrated mix that uses canned burger or sausage and a quart of canned tomatoes.....it tastes very good....BUT it doesn't taste as good as when you use fresh onions and peppers and fresh burger or sausage....but I also know that fresh food items are not always available....and I must make provisions for that.

So tonight I will be testing some other recipes that use the homemade creamcheese/sour cream method....things like mayonnaise and ranch dressing.....

Offline Digger