Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Cleaning solvent  (Read 2400 times)

Offline mike40-11

Cleaning solvent
« on: October 09, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
Ed's Red came up in the ammo thread.  This is a great economical CLP (cleaner-lubricant-protectant) type solvent.  It was formulated to replicate the old (WWII) USGI bore cleaner.

It's very simple and very cheap to make.
Mix together in equal quantities:
1.  K1 kerosene
2.  Dexron III transmission fluid (that's the red part)
3.  Aliphatic mineral spirits (naptha/paint thinner)
4.  Acetone

That's it.  You can also add anhydrous lanolin (1 lb per gallon) for additional corrosion protection, but you have to melt it first.  I don't bother.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:19:55 PM by Bill Quick »

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: Cleaning solvent
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
The lanolin is supposed to make Ed's Red usable as a long-term preservative.

Another homemade cleaning solution (less capable, but the ingredients may be more readily available ) is what the Colorado Springs Muzzleloaders Club called "Three S": Equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, hydrogen peroxide, and rubbing alcohol.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:03:31 AM »
That sounds like it would be a great black powder solvent!  I think I'll give it a try in my muzzle loader this year.  Thanks.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
Ed's Red came up in the ammo thread.  This is a great economical CLP (cleaner-lubricant-protectant) type solvent.  It was formulated to replicate the old (WWII) USGI bore cleaner.

It's very simple and very cheap to make.
Mix together in equal quantities:
1.  K1 kerosene
2.  Dexron III transmission fluid (that's the red part)
3.  Aliphatic mineral spirits (naptha/paint thinner)
4.  Acetone

That's it.  You can also add anhydrous lanolin (1 lb per gallon) for additional corrosion protection, but you have to melt it first.  I don't bother.

I have 10 gallons of WWII bore cleaner stashed away, but I'm gonna give this mix a try. Mixed up in a 5 galon bucket out to last quite a while.

Offline Dale00

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
I wonder what the shelf life of this stuff is:
Another homemade cleaning solution (less capable, but the ingredients may be more readily available ) is what the Colorado Springs Muzzleloaders Club called "Three S": Equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, hydrogen peroxide, and rubbing alcohol.

I know that hydrogen peroxide by itself breaks down with time.

It's great to have these recipes as backup in case regular gun cleaners become unavailable, but until that time I'm sticking with good old Hoppes and CLP etc
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline wtfo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:33 AM »
Just remember the gloves and, in some cases, organic solvent rated breathing masks when you're using some of this old school, no-BS cleaning stuff.

Me, I bought a giant bottle of Mil-comm MC-25 cleaning spray about 6 years ago.  It seems to be particularly useful for cleaning up after corrosive ammo in old bolt action rifles.  It's the only thing I use besides the occasional bit of copper solvent.

Offline Dannytheman

• US Coast Guard Semper Paratus (Always ready)
    • Dannytheman
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Thank you for this, it is very informative. 
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Offline CERDIP

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
Is Murphy's Oil Soap the same thing as Murphy's Saddle Soap?
Keep Cool, But Do Not Freeze.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 03:55:48 AM »
Is Murphy's Oil Soap the same thing as Murphy's Saddle Soap?
Hmmm...
Murphy's Oil Soap is a cleaning product marketed by Colgate-Palmolive. It is available in a concentrated liquid form which is then mixed with water, as well as pre-diluted form which comes in a trigger spray bottle. Commercials for the product state that the product is ideal for cleaning wood surfaces.
Despite the name, oil soap does not contain oil; it contains potassium soap manufactured from vegetable oil. The other constituents of Murphy's Oil Soap are sodium EDTA, propylene glycol, fragrance, surfactants, and water.[1]
Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains bee's wax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name. It is also commonly used for cleaning and conditioning leather footwear.
But Murphy's Oil Soap does seem to be sold as a saddle soap, despite the fact the a quick Bingoogle search will turn up claims that oil soap is the worse thing you can use on leather...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »
Been awhile since I used Ed's Red.  Got tired of buying 1$+ an ounce bottles of Hoppe's so I mixed up another gallon batch a few days ago.  I'd forgotten how well this stuff works.  It's not just an adequate make-do replacement, it's significantly better than a lot of commercial stuff.  Maybe most.  I know it got crap out of my Garand that Hoppe's #9 has been leaving behind for quite awhile.  (I still prefer the smell of Hoppe's though, I'll have to get a bottle just to open when I'm cleaning. ;D)

Offline JAX_PREPPER

• Navy P-3 Orion Flight Engineer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
CLP based products are great, just remember any residual solvent of any kind will break down the lubricant. When possible it's always best to to wipe all solvent cleaned parts with 91% Isopropyl alcohol before applying lubricants.
Dig up Reagan, clone his ass and lets save this country!

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Windex for black powder and corrosive ammo,

Brake cleaner for everything

Mobil Jet Oil 254 for all liquid lube.  Works from -79F to +489F
Mobil synthetic grease for all semisolid lubes (M1 Garand bolt, etc).

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
Well 80z. of gun solvent and 8 oz. of gun oil last me for years.
  I think I will stick to the store bought products, they have a very long shelf life.
And the thought of mixing and storing a cleaning product, well it just dont make sense to me.
  But to each his own.
...Captain Morgan...