Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Drug Shortages  (Read 536 times)

Offline Ken

Drug Shortages
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
Well. it looks like more News Agencies are now taking notice of the prescription drug shortages. (over 283 different drugs are in short supply, including ADHD, and antibiotics drugs)

And although the cause is the Dodd-Frank Consumer Protection Act (they cut all incentives and profits to making a surplus of some drugs)  The Obama Administration is trying to shove the blame of the shortage down the line, 'till after the elections, by "investigating" the shortage.

But you should check to see if you and yours are going to be affected.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/default.htm

Don't forget, if you still have a truly local Pharmacy, they can whip up replacements, if the drugs are generic and no longer in copyright/patent.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Dale00

Re: Drug Shortages
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
I spoke with my pharmacist and he agrees drug shortages are a serious developing issue. From what he said it appears to be a government caused crisis in the making. The government, in response to the public demand for cheaper drugs, has brought about serious price competition between drug manufacturers. As a result many factories no longer produce certain drugs. So the excess manufacturing capacity has been eliminated.

Step two in this government debacle: the FDA is inspecting the few remaining factories and finding that they have "deficiencies" in need of correction. The companies no longer have sufficient profit margins to correct the so-called deficiencies and so are choosing to stop manufacturing the drugs.

Where this is going is anyone's guess. But with the brilliant leadership of BO I fear for the worst outcome - prolonged useless investigations, people dying, and then threats of government nationalization of drug companies.
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Dale00

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
More details:

Renowned Boston oncologist Dr. Sidney Farber pioneered a treatment in the late 1940s to beat a childhood cancer long thought to be incurable. Today, however, children diagnosed with the disease, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, face another threat: a shortage of one of the drugs Farber used to cure it.

A plant that made much of the country’s supply of preservative-free methotrexate -- what Al Patterson, pharmacy director at Children’s Hospital Boston, called the “cornerstone” in Farber’s treatment plan -- closed last year. The supply at Patterson’s hospital may last just 10 days, he said today, and hospitals across the country are facing similar shortages.

“There is no light at the end of the tunnel, yet, that we see,” he said.

Patterson was among about a dozen health care leaders who testified before the state Legislature’s Joint Committee on Public Health today about the effects of the growing problem of drug shortages linked to manufacturing problems and the rise of what the speakers described as the “grey market,” in which drug suppliers stockpile medications, then sell them at inflated prices.

The shortages are particularly severe among drugs that are injected intravenously because they require more complex manufacturing facilities to maintain sterility. They have affected many aspects of medical care, including cancer treatment, anaesthesia, psychiatric care, and the administration of intravenous nutrition.

In a survey last year by the American Hospital Association of 820 acute care hospitals, nearly all reported experiencing drug shortages. Eight-two percent said they had delayed patient care as a result, and 69 percent said patients had received a less effective drug.

“The situation has devolved into a public health crisis that threatens our ability not only to provide routine and timely medical care to patients in need, but also to save the lives of people suffering from what should be preventable, treatable and curable health conditions,” said Representative Jeffrey Sánchez, a Democrat from Jamaica Plain and chairman of the committee.

The list of medically necessary drugs in short supply has grown from 61 in 2005 to about 250 last year, said Dr. Sandra Kweder of the US Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research....

http://www.boston.com/Boston/whitecoatnotes/2012/02/health-care-leaders-drug-shortages-major-threat-patients/RtVagn0kdI3WQr2aL5gdCI/index.html

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
Methotrexate is also used for treating rheumatoid arthritis. I know several people in my church who are on it. One of them just turned sixty, and is working 6 days a week in a very physical job trying to make double payments to the mortgage. This person is in a race against the clock - "can I work long enough so that when my body finally quits, my SS and pensions will be enough to cover the house payment?"  Methotrexate slows down the clock, allowing another week of work. I shudder to think what would happen if it wasn't available.  Hell, I shudder just thinking about that situation, WITH the drug.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
I'm not sure if it's the DEA or the FDA (or both), but some other 3 letter agency apparently has a role as well...all in the name of the War on Drugs.

Apparently the Feds calculate anticipated demand, then allocate rations of precursor chemicals accordingly.

Of course, if when demand is higher than the Feds forecast, you get problems.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
I'm not sure if it's the DEA or the FDA (or both), but some other 3 letter agency apparently has a role as well...all in the name of the War on Drugs.

Apparently the Feds calculate anticipated demand, then allocate rations of precursor chemicals accordingly.

Of course, if when demand is higher than the Feds forecast, you get problems.

But they are the best and the brightest! How can their calculations and allocations be wrong?

I think every public employee should have to pass a test on the writings of Hayek.  Then we could eliminate stupidity and start charging them with malice aforethought.

Offline Dale00

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
The public has no clue about how expensive drugs are to research and develop. They complain about the prices, the politicians respond and now we see the unexpected consequences. Who would have thought that government interference in the free market might have bad effects? If only the federal government weren't too stupid to learn from it's mistakes, there might be some small positive aspect to this.

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
My recollection of one of the arguments in the past for high US costs is that we're paying for the subsidized drugs of the rest of the world.  If we went the price-control route as well, there'd be no drugs for anyone.  Well, we didn't go the price-control route completely yet, and there's shortages of drugs...