Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: 10 Android Apps  (Read 813 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
10 Android Apps
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
These are all in Amazon's Android Apps section.  There are more in Google's "official" Android Market.
As always with Android apps, you will need to verify that any particular app works with your device, since the price we pay for a wide variety of options is a lack of universal compatibility.

In no particular order:
Cargo Decoder Plus.  Decode DOT HazMat placards.
Amazon.com: first aid app: Apps for Android.  Several here, I have no info on any of them.  (I have a couple of references, not listed on Amazon.)
Knot Guide Free
Survival Preparedness.  A course of instruction.
Amazon.com: E Kits Delux: Appstore for Android.  Organize and track shelf life of you BOB.  I have a different app on my tablet, but that one isn't available on Amazon
Amazon.com: Scanner Radio: Appstore for Android.  Police/Fire scanner monitor.
Most people that I know have a flashlight app for android of some sort for their Android device.  It may sound silly, but there have been a couple of times where the easiest source of light to hand was my phone. 

Amazon.com: Compass: Appstore for Android.  If your device has the requisite sensors.  A bunch more in the App store, this is the one I use on my phone.
GPS-related apps:
I use this one:  GPS Status and Toolbox
GPS Status and Toolbox is for the true GPS fanatic. This app displays your GPS and sensor data, position and signal strength of satellites, along with a signal's accuracy, speed, acceleration, and bearing. The app's extensive toolbox includes a compass with magnetic and true north and leveling tool. You can also mark and share your location, which comes in handy when you looking for your car in a parking lot.

GPS Status and Tooblox can be integrated with other mapping and geocaching applications, and is able to reset your GPS settings and calibrate your phone's compass. You may get lost from time to time, but this app will ensure your phone will always know where it is.
Others I have are not on Amazon, but here are seaerch results for "gps apps for android" on Amazon.  There are a lot there, including a couple (Sygic: GPS Navigation and BackCountry Navigator PRO, which allow you to download maps and use the GPS for navigation when there is no cellular telephone or wifi signal.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Online Flight-ER-Doc

Re: 10 Android Apps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks, I've seen most of those but just downloaded GPS apps/toolbox.

Also, with a 32GB SIM there is a LOT of other info I can carry on my phone - in PDF format mostly.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
Some searches I use/have used:
Emergency, emergency preparedness, emergency preparations
Prepping, preppers, preps
CERT
Hazardous materials, Hazmat
NIOSH, NIMS, FEMA. (Searches for ICS return a ton of stuff for the newest version  of the Android system, code-name "Ice Cream Sandwich.")
Earthquake, quake, volcano, disaster
Navigation, compass, GPS, maps
First aid, triage.  (Application iTriage looks good, haven't had to use it, thank God!  Not on Amazon.)
Fire fighter
Radio, amateur radio, ham radio--the ham radio apps in the Amazon App Store are mostly QSL Loggers, there are more utilities in Google's market, including several general electrical references.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:22 PM »
Android Forums is an online community for all things Android.  You might be able to find info there if there are no answers here. 

Note that some of these apps require connectivity, i.e., either a functioning wifi connection or cell phone service, in order to function.  Some do not. I don't think anyone here would hold me responsible if they downloaded an app and it ceased working, but... YMMV.  IANAL.  EIEIO.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.