Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: We are in some serious trouble...  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
We are in some serious trouble...
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »
I think this is unbelievable

Now are lunches are being inspected?  You have got to be kidding....
Has anyone told the state worker what's in Chicken nuggets....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14/preschoolers-homemade-lunch-replaced-with-nuggets/
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
Re: We are in some serious trouble...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
the nanny state has got to go. insane.

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Something I noticed in a different article from the Carolina Journal on the same subject - the mother didn't want to give her name so as to protect her daughter from retaliation....

Sadly, I think she is right to fear retaliation.  Bureaucrats hold power over people's lives and often have little accountability, so retaliation against trouble makers carries little risk for them.

If a private company forced you to buy their product, folks would say it was doing so out of greed, but if the government does it, it's "For the ChildrenTM".

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
there is a video on the net that tells how nuggets are made, but it's not quite the truth....bad, but not quite as bad....

Here is a video that is sad, but funny...one poor guys journey on getting kids to eat healthy...

http://www.good.is/post/chicken-nuggets-is-that-how-they-re-made-a-good-fact-check/

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
Egg said:
Has anyone told the state worker what's in Chicken nuggets....

It doesn't matter to him what's in the school lunch. What he thinks he needs to know is simply that his cushy job that probably pays 1 1/2 times what the average private sector employee makes with first dollar healthcare coverage and a fancy retirement are insured if he just does what he's told. There's a liberal crony who more than likely owns the food supplier who sees to it that his pockets stay full and he's fat and happy..... if he just shuts up and does his job.

He gets his and everybody else..... yeah well, he ain't worried about everybody else.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
My mom would have been in real trouble for some of the lunches she packed for us!  :o

But that official couldn't have known anything about nutrition. The turkey & cheese sandwich was much more healthful than the deep fried chicken nuggets - something the child seems to have figured out on her own.
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline cd

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
IIRC, the kid in question is the beneficiary of some welfare state-ish program (pre-K care center), and it was in the context of that stupidity that this marginal stupidity happened.

This never happened to my homeschooled children. I'm just saying...

Offline cd

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Another, same place:

Diane Zambrano says her 4-year-old daughter, Jazlyn, is in the same West Hoke Elementary School class as the little girl whose lunch gained national attention earlier this week.

This is what happens when you turn your 4 year olds over to the nanny state to ... nanny for you.

You get a nanny with all the common sense and customer sensitivity of a DMV agency.  >:(

Offline Dale00

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
The public education system has problems both internal and external. This event is ridiculous but maybe it was an aberration. I hope so. Kids need good parenting and the school is a very poor substitute for loving parents or guardians.
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
During the Obamacare media circus, the question was asked - "Can the federal government force someone to buy broccoli?"

Apparently you could.  Apparently, you can also force them to buy chicken nuggets.

Maybe, the answer to the question could have been, "Sure we can force someone to buy broccoli!  All we have to do is declare all other foods 'unhealthy' or 'unsafe' (think raw milk) and BAM! Ya gotta buy broccoli!"

Offline Ken

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
No, the Federal government still shouldn't be able force you to eat broccoli, but state governments have always been able to do so.
“If mankind is to survive, then throughout man’s history except for a very few years the word “ship” will mean “space ship.”
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Paul

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
In the 1940's there were a number of children in the little one room school I attended who truly lived in abject poverty.  I can remember kids who, when food ran short brought lard sandwiches for lunch and, on more than a few occasions, when food had run out entirely, youngsters who claimed to have "forgotten their lunch."  I pray to God that we will never see a return to those days.

On the other hand, years later after moving to a much more prosperous section of the country, I can also remember the numerous times my friends and I would skip school lunch entirely in order to spend the 25 cents on paper back books and model airplane kits.  It was a question of priority - some days we were hungry and some days, the choice between institutional food and the latest scribbling by Andre Norton was easy.

I'm all; for making nutritious school lunches available to youngsters.  What I am not in favor of is anyone, the school, the state or the feds forcing them to eat only the meal the school provides.  If the kid wants to eat peanut butter sandwiches and only peanut butter sandwiches, parent agreeing, that should be his prerogative despite all the over-hyped garbage about this or that supposed allergy to the contrary.   

Offline Langenator

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm all; for making nutritious school lunches available to youngsters.  What I am not in favor of is anyone, the school, the state or the feds forcing them to eat only the meal the school provides.  If the kid wants to eat peanut butter sandwiches and only peanut butter sandwiches, parent agreeing, that should be his prerogative despite all the over-hyped garbage about this or that supposed allergy to the contrary.   

No peanut butter.  Have to keep things safe for the kids with peanut allergies.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
No peanut butter.  Have to keep things safe for the kids with peanut allergies.

More nanny state B.S.

Speaking as someone who has been allergic to nuts (although not peanuts) his whole life and learned to spot them or the things likely to contain them, we aren't teaching these allergic kids anything by making the rest of the population forgo having theirs. These kids are going to be exposed to this stuff their whole life and they're going to have to learn how to avoid the stuff out here in the real world. Best they learn while they're young and build a habit of paying attention, 'cause the problem ain't going away.

'Course expecting anyone to pay attention to anything these days seems to be asking an awful lot.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:28:45 PM by oldguy52 »
O.G.

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline ibigfatcat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
No peanut butter.  Have to keep things safe for the kids with peanut allergies.
My step daughter happens to love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as allot of third graders do, however she attends a "Peanut Free School".
She finally begged that we not pack peanut butter sandwiches in her lunch because she was forced to eat in the nurses office, and had to be wiped down afterwards prior to rejoining her class after lunch.

I thought it was ironic, that on Black History Month, she was assigned George Washington Carver as her assignment who was world renowned for his advancements in Peanuts. Her display board could not contain peanut products

Yes we are in serious trouble...

Offline Langenator

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
Perhaps the biggest 'duh' ever was the sign on the north Fort Bragg Commissary door warning of nuts and nut products inside.

For the non-mil-speaking folks here, a commissary is a military grocery store.  Which is why the sign is face-palmingly stupid.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
geeh....now I see an 8th grade boy got suspended in North Carolina for 55 days for pranking another student with a bag of OREGANO...hahahahah..

Possibly the bans on the peanuts in the schools are because a body might SUE if their child got ahold of something with peanuts in it...they sue about everything nowadays...

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »

Possibly the bans on the peanuts in the schools are because a body might SUE if their child got ahold of something with peanuts in it...they sue about everything nowadays...

That's exactly what it is. Oh they make it sound like it's "for the children" but what it really is, is the first rule of bureaucracy which is, CYA (cover your... uh, butt).

I wonder what they're gonna' do when they figure out that there's a heck of a lot of people with gluten allergies too. Guess we'll all have to stop eating bread. Oops and what about sea food... plenty of folks allergic to that. There just aren't too many things that someone isn't allergic to.

Heck, maybe we should just quit eating at school. Wouldn't that fix the whole problem?

Bring your own lunch, that's the ticket.  ;) Does this bring us full circle?
O.G.

Offline ibigfatcat

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
geeh....now I see an 8th grade boy got suspended in North Carolina for 55 days for pranking another student with a bag of OREGANO...hahahahah..

My daughter does have a minor allergic reaction to Shell Fish. We "Educate" her to avoid these foods. We don't feel that this is the schools problem. That is our job as parents. Educate her on personal matters.
The schools are chartered to teach the basics, reading, writing and arithmetic. "Educate".
Do Not tell me how to raise my child or monitor there food intake. I won't even get into the California Teachers Union issues. If I do I will be banned from this site and the rest of the internet.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
If it is horrible, it will happen in a California school first.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline StuckInLAWithZombies

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:07 PM »
If it is horrible, it will happen in a California school first.

There, fixed that for you to demonstrate it's universal truth.

Offline Ravin

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
The one person I know whose kid has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts which can be set off by touch doesn't trust any school with dealing with it. She homeschools him, and when they go to public places she or the kid's older brother keeps him in eyeshot and carries an epipen. She also frequently wipes his hands with antibacterial wipes (the alcohol removes oil) and doses him with benadryl at first sign of hives or such. I doubt she would ever consider public school an option, but at soonest it'll be when the kid is old enough  to carry and use his epipen on his own.

Common sense and good parenting mean not expecting more than what is reasonable from a less than perfect system.

That said, I'd have raised Hel if they did this to my kid.

Cutter

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »
Then the fight becomes one of making the kid ALLOWED to carry his epipen.  It is a double whammy of a prescription medication and a sharp "weapon".

I seriously doubt any public school would allow a student to have such a device on their person.  Now, their teacher might be given custody of it or would require the pen be kept in the nurse's office, but a student keeping a medication they would have immediate need for to the point that seconds literally counted?  Not likely to happen.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
It is a double whammy of a prescription medication and a sharp "weapon".
Good point, in a world where a kid making a "gun" out of his fist and fingers is often good enough to earn a suspension.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Online Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
Then the fight becomes one of making the kid ALLOWED to carry his epipen.  It is a double whammy of a prescription medication and a sharp "weapon".

I seriously doubt any public school would allow a student to have such a device on their person.  Now, their teacher might be given custody of it or would require the pen be kept in the nurse's office, but a student keeping a medication they would have immediate need for to the point that seconds literally counted?  Not likely to happen.

I testified in a wrongful-death case once, where a kid had a bee-sting allergy, was at school and got stung, and his epi-pen was locked in a file cabinet in the school nurses office - according to district school policy.  Of course, only the school nurse was 'qualified' to administer the epi-pen.  Not that it would have mattered:  There were about 25 different kids epi-pens and other 'emergency' aids there, all jumbled together in a bag so finding the right one would have been a challenge. And the nurse was scheduled to be at the school one day every other week.....

Just another reason to home school.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:57:03 AM by Flight-ER-Doc »
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed