Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: The 10 Essentials  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
The 10 Essentials
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
Seems like a good starting place:
The "Ten Essentials" are survival items that hiking organizations recommend for safe travel in the backcountry.  {Wikipedia link. DWD}
The Ten Essentials were first described in the 1930s by The Mountaineers, a hiking and mountain climbing club. Many regional organizations and authors recommend that hikers, backpackers, and climbers rigorously ensure they have the ten essentials with them.
The "classic", original 10 Essentials are
    Map
    Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
    Sunglasses and sunscreen
    Extra food
    Extra water
    Extra clothes
    Headlamp / flashlight
    First aid kit
    Fire starter (matches, chemical heat tabs, canned heat, or a magnesium stick)
    Knife

MAPS: For prepping, you should have a variety of maps handy, of your neighborhood, town, county, state or region (depending on size of state), bug out locations and routes to them.  (Multiple BOLs and multiple routes for each, if feasible.)
Sources of maps:
COMPASS.  The temptation here may be to get a GPS and rely on that.  I trust anyone reading this will know better; however, there is nothing wrong with having a GPS, as long as you know the possible shortcomings, and have a physical map, a compass, and know how to use them.
Compass Brands:
  • Silva.  The Ranger is hard to beat.  During my Army career, at leats as many peopl ecarried one of these as the issue lensatic.
  • Brunton Compass.  I haven't used one of these, but I haven't heard anything bad about any Brunton gear. 
  • Suunto also makes well spoken of compasses, but they seem to be concentrating on electronic devices these days.
  • I would avoid a "military style" lensatic compass, mostly because I wouldn't trust it's accuracy or durability.

SUNGLASSES:  The only advice I will give here is to avoid fashion statements, and get a pair that fits you, is durable, and is polarized.
SUNSCREEN.  In addition to being a high SPF#, should be waterproof, and easy to apply.  If we're talking about a bug out kit or the like, make sure it is packaged well enough that it will survive.

EXTRA FOOD.  Forget the diet.  You need a high enough caloric intake to sustain some fairly stressful periods. 
Your actual food planning will depend on too many variables to go into the subject in this post, but a couple of points:
  • MREs are bulky and expensive, but designed to have a long shelf life, and to provide a high calory, nutritious, and varied diet for an infantryman in combat.
  • Another option for a BOB or GHB might be "lifeboat food bars", such as Datrex.

EXTRA WATER.  The options here are endless.  Going with a canteen or water bottle versus a hydration pack of some sort would be a lengthy post in itself.  However, purification is essential for any event that we are prepping for; keep in mind that, if you live in the city and a non-TEOTWAWKI event occurs, the sewage and water treatment systems might be compromised. In case of a "boil order", you might want an alternative.  Keep in mind that a FILTER strains "stuff" out of the water, and a PURIFIER" kills critters in the water that might be too small to be strained. Some devices do both, or imply that they do. 
Filters include Katadyn, MSR, and Aquamira.  The later makes one filter that will snap onto some hydration pack mouthpieces.
Purifiers are available from each of the filter manufacturers.

EXTRA CLOTHES.  Do you really need any help with this one?  ;)
Actually, an observation:  Again, avoid fashion statements. Clothing should be durable, comfortable, and appropriate to the climate and season.  When the Mountaineers were writing their book, they probably recommended wool and nothing else; at the time, the only other option was cotton, and if that gets wet, you're dead.  Nowadays, there are so many synthetics that will keep you warm even if they get wet, it makes my head spin...

HEADLAMP/FLASHLIGHT:  for prepping, I avoid rechargeables, since the means to recharge may not be available.  I like to minimize battery types as well, preferring to have all devices use the same, AAs, mostly, or AAAs.  LED lights these days can provide very good light for very low battery drain.  Brands:
  • SureFire.  The Cadillac of flashlights, pricey.  Durable.
  • Streamlight.  For years the only serious Surefire had in the "tactical/combat" flashlight realm.  Note the many affordable options for pocket/pen/zipper pull lights.
  • MagLite.  Not just for cops anymore.
  • Fenix Flashlights.
  • Energizer.  Yes, I'm serious. Some very good, very durable designs, reasonably priced.
  • Inova.

FIRST AID KIT:  You can easily buy a ready-made kit, but you should research likely needs and be prepared to add critical items to the kit.  Also, GET TRAINING!
I like Adventure Medical Kits brand of kits, but YMMV.  They are available for a wide range of sizes, uses, and pocketbooks.

FIRE STARTER: 
While cheap, plastic disposable lighters are readily available, they tend to be frail, and butane does not perform well in low temperatures or air pressure.
  • A Zippo is hard to beat, and you can fuel it with gasoline or diesel if necessary.
  • A search for "Windproof Lighter" returned a wide variety of makes and designs; let me know how any of those work for you...
MATCHES:  You can take STRIKE ANYWHERE matches and coat the heads with melted wax to waterproof them, but you will have to remove the wax to strike them.

KNIFE.  Oh, dear.  Another topic worthy of it's own post, not to say board, or two, or three...
  • As a general rule, folding knives are handier to haul around than fixed blades.  A locking blade folder is safer and better for most tasks.  Note that even Swiss Army Knives are available with locking blades now.
  • Avoid exotic materials. (Damascus, ceramic, etc.)
  • Avoid hollow-handle "Rambo" or "survival" knives.
  • Avoid "tactical", "combat", or "fighting" knives, unless you're in the military, in an MOS where actual hand-to-hand combat is likely.
  • Get a sharpener, or better yet, a sharpening system.  Learn to use it.
  • Make sure the sheath or pouch is sturdy, secure, and durable.  Consider replacing it with an after-market one.
Brands I like:  Columbia River Knife and Tool, Gerber, Buck, Amazon.com: kershaw knives]Kershaw[/url].  Really, there are too many good brands out there to list. 

Lately, the "Classic 10 Essentials" list has been revised for the modern era, into a "systems approach."  But that's a different post...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Dale00

Re: The 10 Essentials
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
Trash bag, extra thick, contractor grade.
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
That's not one of the "classic" 10 Essentials.  They didn't have those in the 1930s...   ;D
I imagine it will be included when I do the "Updated/modern/revised" version, probably tomorrow. 

BTW, my parents knew a guy who was offered an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of an investment that he walked away from, laughing.  I mean, really, who would pay good money for plastic garbage bags...?  :'(
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Suburban

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
MAPS: For prepping, you should have a variety of maps handy, of your neighborhood, town, county, state or region (depending on size of state), bug out locations and routes to them.

AAA has excellent maps, and they are free to AAA members.

COMPASS.  ... Silva.  The Ranger is hard to beat.

I had lost my Silva many years ago and been intending to replace it.  Thanks to your reminder I have a Ranger on the way to me.

HEADLAMP/FLASHLIGHT:  for prepping, I avoid rechargeables, since the means to recharge may not be available.  I like to minimize battery types as well, preferring to have all devices use the same, AAs, mostly, or AAAs.  LED lights these days can provide very good light for very low battery drain.

Agreed.  The house brand AA and AAA cells from Costco are excellent alkaline batteries for flashlights that get used a lot.  For applications where the batteries will not get used that often, or if the battery powered device is expensive, I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells.  

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-Batteries-L91/dp/B002MKGDPW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329279792&sr=8-3

I buy them from Sam's Club.  They are expensive, but pack much more power in each cell, have a 15 year shelf life, and do not leak.  That last characteristic make these a must use in expensive devices.

Energizer.  Yes, I'm serious. Some very good, very durable designs, reasonably priced.

The headlight we have standardized on is this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Micro-Headlamp-Battery-Included/dp/B002M3PMCE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

They run on just a single AA cell, not three AAA cells like many headlamps, have a bight white light from a CREE LED, plus red LEDs for night vision.  I use these every day.

KNIFE.  

I carry three.  My oldest is a no longer made swiss army knife somewhat similar to the current Champion Plus:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Champion-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0009KF4GG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329278676&sr=8-3

On my belt is a BuckTool, again unfortunately no longer made.

When I need a razor sharp knife so sharp you could shave with it, I now have a Boker Haddock clipped to my pocket edge:

http://www.amazon.com/Haddock-Black-G-10-Handle-Plain/dp/B003SA9RAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329278882&sr=8-1

Massively thick 5 mm blade, hollow ground so it will take and hold a razor edge.  Amazing knife.

Get a sharpener, or better yet, a sharpening system.  Learn to use it.

What puts that razor edge on my knifes is:

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths%C2%AE-Diamond-Field-Sharpening-Kit/dp/B000UVV1G6/ref=sr_1_86?ie=UTF8&qid=1329279360&sr=8-86

For field use I carry in my get home bag this:

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329279173&sr=8-1

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:25:27 PM by Suburban »

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
AAA has excellent maps, and they are free to AAA members.
Good point!  Thanks for the reminder!
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
Here's a list from the Dallas branch of the Sierra Club suggesting Ten Essential "Groups", made by combining the Ten Essentials with items found on  prepping sites.   :D

• Medical - ID/medical tag, first aid kit, medications, insect repellant
  • Shelter - raingear, garbage bags, emergency blanket, bivy sack, tarp, tent, rope
  • Fire - matches, lighter, sparker/tinder, fresnel lens, stove/fuel
  • Hydration - water container, purification method
  • Communication - safety plan, whistle, pen/pencil and paper, signal mirror, cellular phone, satellite phone, HAM radio, personal locator beacon
  • Navigation - map, compass, light, altimeter, GPS
  • Nutrition - extra food, fishing kit
  • Insulation - jacket, hat, gloves, footwear, foam pad
  • Sun Protection - sunscreen, sunglasses, wide-brimmed hat
  • Tools - knife, repair kit, wristwatch, bandana

There may be too many items on here that rely on batteries or or electrical power source, but then, "Two is one and one is none":  We should have multiples of most critical items.
Personally, I think fishing is over-rated as a survival strategy, but that may just be because fish laugh at my name, to turn the t-shirt around...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:14:31 AM by Drang »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:19:19 AM »
The Updated 10 Essentials list as posted at Recreational Equipment Co-op (REI) differs from the above only in listing "illumination" instead of "communications."
  • Navigation (map and compass)
  • Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
  • Insulation (extra clothing)
  • Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
  • First-aid supplies
  • Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
  • Repair kit and tools
  • Nutrition (extra food)
  • Hydration (extra water)
  • Emergency shelter
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »
are the links in the above all 'referred' by bill so he gets a cut?

i'm looking to buy some of the things (sharpener, med kit perhaps) and want to make sure he gets credits (s)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:20:38 AM by Mr. Bingley »

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
I made sure to have lots of sunscreen.  I'm one of those poor sods that tends to burn very easily with even minimal exposure.

Bullfrog is the brand I like - it sprays on for more even coverage and it really works. - I once spent a full week at Disney World and Universal Studios in Florida and I only got a little pink.

30 minutes in direct sun with no protection is enough to cook my hide well and good, so that Bullfrog sunscreen really did a nice job protecting me.

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »

i'm looking to buy some of the things (sharpener, med kit perhaps) and want to make sure he gets credits (s)

Unless I'm mistaken and I don't think I am, There is an easy way to ensure you support this site without worrying whether a link has been attributed to Bill, or not.

Simply go to one of Bill's recommended Amazon posts and open it through the link there, even if you may not be interested in that particular item. Once the Amazon page opens, bookmark it and save it. I have mine listed in my bookmarks as Bill Q's Amazon Link. Then when ever you go shop at Amazon, if you open it at that bookmark, you will be in Bill's area. Once there you can navigate wherever you want and still create a commission to support Emergency Preps.
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
Yes.

I sometimes use Tamara K's Amazon link, but I made sure to use Bills for these.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Mr. Bingley

• The Coalition of the Swilling
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
thanks!

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
Apparently, my recommendation of Silva and Brunton compasses is... passe...  :'(
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
We have a lot of "lists of stuff" posted around here.  I wonder if we should periodically take another look at them, to see if they have suffered a similar sort of "rot."
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
Or have fallen out of date, due to technological (or whatever kind) advances or developments.  Good point.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Captain Morgan

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Here is my BOB top ten list
Colt 1911 .45 acp and 100 rounds of ammo
Good knife ( for skinning and daily use)
Fire starter
Water purifacation unit(small and portable)
1 change of clothes
1 good high grade tarp.(used for shelter and other things)
Food( freeze dried or MRE'S)
Good first aid kit( with any meds you need)
LED Flashlight with spare power source
Hand crank radio with light.
  Maybe not the perfect list as 10 items cant cover my every need. No room for a fishing kit, more ammo and many other items you will need such as bug repellent and a hatchet or ax.
  And of course I will carry my 870 12 gauge, and a rifle of my choosing. Also my BOB or my back pack will hold more than 10 items. But to hit the road when the SHTF is my last resort. The home place has all we need to make it for at least 1 year if not longer. So to run IMHO will be a bad mistake. But one must be ready for anything.
...Captain Morgan...  Pray for the best, plan and be rwady for the worst.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
That's a solid list, Cap.  What are you currently using for water purification?  I have a 20 gal straw in my EDC....
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
That's a solid list, Cap.  What are you currently using for water purification?  I have a 20 gal straw in my EDC....
I was looking at a Camelback brand water bottle with a purifier built into the cap, until I realized that it needed a USB cable for recharging...
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Haverwilde

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Just a thought on that recharge problem. I have a cellphone recharger for my car that also has the USB plug available. So if you are using a BOV you may have an easy solution.
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
I was looking at a Camelback brand water bottle with a purifier built into the cap, until I realized that it needed a USB cable for recharging...

I have one of those Camelbak UV water purifier bottles.  The USB charging issue isn't a showstopper for me, since I also have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel, which, when used to charge my two Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus battery packs, covers my USB charging needs.
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....