Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: National Geographic prepping show  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
Re: National Geographic prepping show
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 07:12:46 AM »
Wow, isn't that a mess?  I saw that the NRA lawyer won't take his case and that the money that was contributed for the case is being returned...

Here is another one of the participants of the show....and it also appears that she wasn't pleased with the show either...

http://justincasebook.wordpress.com/

I still like Kelleen...hahahah....and she does have a nice blog...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
I was going to comment on this issue anyway:
Wow, isn't that a mess?  I saw that the NRA lawyer won't take his case and that the money that was contributed for the case is being returned...
I'd like a LOT more information on "the NRA Lawyer" not taking the case.  Many times, what this means is that the person seeking legal assistance has contacted the wrong office.  I know of several times where someone canned the NRA-ILA--which is the lobbying organization--the Friends of the NRA, or Membership Services.  The Firearms Civil Rights folks are a completely different group, and the way corporate laws are set up, they don't necessarily have any contact with each other.  I've seen several cases where Someone was apparently more interested in how the NRA was no help, even after it was pointed out that they had been calling the wrong people, and the correct contact information was given.
It is also possible that he did contact the NRA's Firearms Civil Rights people, and they decided that he didn't have a case, or even that he might have a case, but they didn't have a legal SWAT team to send out to Tennessee right away.

Honestly, I didn't find the video compelling.  His legal issues do not mean "No more prepping for me."  He was not prepared, and his fumbling around, for example,  to get the exact date when the doctor visit occurred, was distracting.  I found the comment about "putting on a sheet and running through the ghetto" off-putting. 

It does sound like he was railroaded by a doctor who disapproves of his lifestyle, and who was able to take advantage of the system, to the disadvantage of his patient. That sounds like unethical behavior, but I am neither a doctor nor a lawyer, so my opinion on that is worth pretty much whatever you pay for the bandwidth...  ???

There were enough people in the prepping community raising warnings about this show that I have to wonder about anyone who went ahead and participated. 
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
Thanks, Silence.  I've posted this over at Daily Pundit.  We'll see if it picks up any more interest.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
Ok after watching last nights show, I am disgusted...

A well know prepper, mishandles his gun and cuts his thumb to the point of having to have surgery....(even his kid knew what he had done wrong...)  and he FAINTS>>>>   OMGosh...

Statistically, a person can be shown 10 good things and 1 bad and he'll remember the bad...(I learned this in the restaurant business)

Now don't everyone start yelling at me for rolling my eyes over him fainting....I cut my thumb almost completely off, and I didn't FAINT...

This is what folks are going to remember....misuse of a weapon, injury, children handling weapons that can cause injury....and someone who is supposed to be preparing for emergencies ...fainting...

not a good representation ......bad for preppers.....

I now am convinced of my original reservations of this show...not good.....

Has anyone noticed that although there are very good points in the show, there is a least one buffoon....this is physiologically effective....see point above about what folks will remember.....
Also, has anyone noticed that they always end the segment with the probability of the crisis....which is always minimal......downplaying the probability of the crisis...

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
I actually watched both episodes last night, while Mrs. Drang enjoyed some chick flick in the other room.  (Very romantic Valentines Day, I know... ::) )

We used to say that there are two types of people, those who have had unintentional discharges, and those who haven't had one YET.  Still, poor firearms handling drives me nuts.
Anyway, he went into shock, and between the pain, the blood loss, and the fact that he did it in front of his kids (and cameras) there is no way to predict how someone is going to react. 

I agree that the show is filmed in such a way as to maximize the entertainment value, and I really do think they set it up to some extent to do so as well. I wonder whether they actually ask "What are you prepping for?" or if they "offer" the preppers a threat to be concerned about.  I mean, if they're going to show someone getting ready for "polar shift" they might as well have people prepping for "The Zompocalypse" or "Alien Invasion."
OTOH, if you're in a seismically stable area and you're ready for an EMP attack, you're ready for just about anything.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
Rawles linked to an article/interview with the "Houston party Girl" Megan, who allegedly planned to kill her cats when TSHTF:  How National Geographic misrepresented the foxhole atheist Doomsday Prepper
Megan Hurwitt: Our primary reason for prepping, namely, gulf coast hurricanes, was deemed “not interesting enough.” We prep for any and all forseeable emergencies.
JG: Why not just set the cats free? Or take them with you?
MH: That comment was taken so terribly out of context that I will NEVER forgive Nat Geo or Sharp Entertainment for it as long as live. They conveniantly left out a few key points that I discussed before and after that quote: that I would never let my bf shoot the cats. And that they asked what we would do in a scenario where there was no more food, and nothing would grow, like in a nuclear wasteland. As long as there is food, my cats will eat. Hell, I would feed them before I fed myself. My bf only means to euthanize them if the ONLY other option is to watch them starve to death.It goes to suppose in that scenario that we too would also starve to death.

My cats are not declawed. If things go bad, but they can hunt, we will turn them loose. If we can take them with us, we will do so. I wish folks had some idea of how much we care for those two. They have two hugh cat trees that take up a lot of space in the apartment. They have two filtered fountain water dishes. They eat $50 a bag cat food. They get their shots every year, their worm pills every three months, and their flea treatments every month. They get cuddles and playtime every time they ask. They get supervised outside time 30 minutes in the morning and again at night. They are spoiled rotten. And something that Nat Geo didn’t mention? The producer offered me $1,000 to shoot my cat on camera. F*** him, f*** the editor.
(Emphasis in original)
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 01:56:11 AM »
And now she pops up on AR15.com, in a thread in which a whole lotta smack is being talked... about her...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1286828_I_cant_believe_no_one_has_photoshopped_the_prepper_chick.html&page=5
NOTE:  It's ARFCOM, the language is typical ARFTard.

Thread started a week ago, and is already 25 pages...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:57:51 AM by Drang »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Dale00

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:09 AM »
Rawles linked to an article/interview with the "Houston party Girl" Megan, who allegedly planned to kill her cats when TSHTF:  How National Geographic misrepresented the foxhole atheist Doomsday Prepper(Emphasis in original)

This seems consistent with two widely acknowledged themes about the media:
1. They do anything sensational to entertain. If the truth is boring, they exaggerate, embellish or lie. Their bottom line is numbers of viewers.
2. They bash anything that is not in the liberal/progressive mold. Of course they don't describe themselves as liberal/progressive - their point of view of "righteous and enlightened" and everyone else is ignorant, crazy, greedy or evil.

How a reality TV exposée on prepping fits into the world of National Geographic is beyond me.

To put the whole thing into perspective - in our current liberal/progressive media view even the Boy Scouts are under attack.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:10:31 AM by Dale00 »
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Dale00

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »

Here is another one of the participants of the show....and it also appears that she wasn't pleased with the show either...

http://justincasebook.wordpress.com/

I still like Kelleen...hahahah....and she does have a nice blog...

This lady has a good head on her shoulders. Too bad she was naive about the media and believed that they would fairly represent prepping.

Offline Les Nessman

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 06:32:47 AM »
"And something that Nat Geo didn’t mention? The producer offered me $1,000 to shoot my cat on camera."

Whoa. If that is true and it leaks out into the public more, that could really stir up a hornets nest. I want to see the PETA nuts and animal rights crowd protesting against Nat Geo and demanding the producer be fired etc etc etc...

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
physiologically  on my post this word was supposed to be phycologically.....

Why did she even mention about shooting the cats...even if it was edited...which does make me feel better, people are going to take that one thing and run with it....this along with the thumb cutting incident has left those folks wide open for ridicule....

People make mistakes....my husband did when he use a gun to small for him....he should have put the extender on...he got cut...(I posted the pics, hahahahah!)  And my grandchildren were there to see it happen....

I just wouldn't go on national tv and leave myself wide open for all the critisism....

I don't even talk about butchering my pigs around most folks...unless I'm with folks whom know about butchering...

Best bet is to keep your MOUTH shut and just talk about the weather...hahahahahah!  And stay away from Nat Geo.....My orginal thoughts about the show have been very very confirmed....sad, for there are things to learn from that show....

Rumor has it that now the "mentally" ill guy, is on the "no fly list"   GEEHZ!

Offline Dale00

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »

People make mistakes....my husband did when he use a gun to small for him....he should have put the extender on...he got cut...(I posted the pics, hahahahah!)  And my grandchildren were there to see it happen.... "Web bite", I assume. I got a small taste of that when practicing switching from strong hand to weak hand shooting. One taste of that was enough.

I don't even talk about butchering my pigs around most folks...unless I'm with folks whom know about butchering... Butchering and hunting gives us some life skills and first hand knowledge of life and death that every adult needs. The more who are exposed to this, the better for our society. Killing is not cruelty - as long as the public remains ignorant, we have a problem.

Best bet is to keep your MOUTH shut and just talk about the weather...hahahahahah!  And stay away from Nat Geo.....My orginal thoughts about the show have been very very confirmed....sad, for there are things to learn from that show....
To repeat something I've said before: Being "into" countryside living and old ways of doing things is a far, far better way to describe yourself than to be a "prepper"

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »
I agree that everyone should know about butchering....but I have found that the majority of folks are so far removed from where there food comes from that it is alarming.
 Most folks have no clue nor any desire to know...they think that the grocery store is an endless supply of food....when in reality...if the trucks stopped running, the stocks in the store will supply around 3 days worth of food for their community....that is if there isn't a run on the store....and I have seen that happen when we had an inland hurricane...our local store was wiped out within hours....

A lot of folks I know buy their food for their supper on a daily basis....some on a weekly basis....this really really scares me...

And to talk about it brands you as some kind of a weirdo...so I have learned to be very guarded with what I do and how I live....on this forum, there is freedom...and like persons..so I can chatter away and not be labeled "strange"

In my "real" life....hahahah!   Most folks with the exception of a few have no clue how I live....

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »
David Sarti was on Alex JOnes, Friday night...and I think Alex is going to interview him for a full hour this coming week.....Sarti has not deviated from his story...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
so I can chatter away and not be labeled "strange"

Actually, this place is sort of like a mirror of the "real" world.  You can chatter away here and be labeled an amazingly wonderful font of invaluable information.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone