Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: M1 Garands As Low As $220? Gimme Some Of That!  (Read 855 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
M1 Garands As Low As $220? Gimme Some Of That!
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
U.S. To Import 87,310 M1 Garand Rifles from Korea | The Truth About Guns
The Korean Times reports that new legislation passed by the U.S. has cleared the way for these guns to be imported into the United States via third party importers such as CAI. And here’s the kicker: they’re going to be sold as low as $220.

The sad part of the story: the 770,000 M1 Carbines also available for sale in Korea are still banned due to their ability to accept “high capacity detachable magazines.” Which is ridiculous; the CMP has been selling those exact same guns and magazines for decades and shipping them directly to U.S. Citizens without an FFL in between. Not even 922(r) should apply. The guns were made in the United States in the first place.

It seems like gunners can never get a bit of good news without having a passel of bad news on the same plate.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: M1 Garands As Low As $220? Gimme Some Of That!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Are those carbines really M1s, or M2s?
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
If they're actually functional for $220, I may have to pick me up another one...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
If they're functional, I may have to pick up my first one.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »
I'd like another Garand, and two M1 Carbines.  But $800 for a carbines on sale is insane for a shooter. (As opposed to as rare collectible.)
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Still some question as to whether or not the import is really going to happen.  I believe the part about no carbines though.  Those are some serious gang-banger, cop killer, drive by machine guns!! (can't find the "puke" smiley)

I think the $220 quoted was what somebody thinks is the going price for carbines.  Not hardly.  More like $5-600 for starters.

Who knows what the Garands will go for if and when it happens. 

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is still a great place to get a Garand.  You're guaranteed a safe, functioning rifle.  Their armorers are THE experts on Garands and go through every rifle before it's sold.  They start at $600 for a rack grade.  They don't have carbines any more, other than some high dollar auction stuff.  I jumped on one for $500 2 years ago when they had some for sale for the first time in literally decades.  http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

If you can find a carbine their great little handy rifles.  Light, short, easy to shoot.  About the same ballistics as a .357 mag.  Not tackdrivers by any means but decent 'battlefield accuracy'.

All that said, and I love and shoot the Garands and Carbines, I don't know how appropriate they are for prepping.  Garand is big and heavy, only holds eight rounds and shoots a big expensive 30-06 round.  Oh, and don't use just any commercial load.  A lot of modern stuff is too hot for the Garand's action.

Carbines are great, but not real cheap, not as common as they used to be, and the ammo can be downright hard to come by.  And pricey.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »
I got 2 carbines (Inland and Underwood) from the CMP, as well as an M1903A3 when they still had those, plus a couple of cans of Greek .30-06 M2 ball ammo (which they're getting low on, BTW.)

Actually, I'd probably pay $220 for a parts gun Garand.  I had to replace the op-rod on mine, $145 for a post-WWII part.  WWII SA op-rods run over $200.

Best place for .30 carbine ammo I've found lately is AIM Surplus.  Best you'll get for .30-06 FMJ is CMP (Greek surplus), followed by AIM again (Prvi Partizan, not sure if it's Garand-safe or not, though PPU does actually make M2 ball).

Also, you can get an adjustable gas plug to allow your Garand to run a wider spectrum of ammo, including modern hunting rounds.  Fulton Armory or Brownell's are good sources for those.

I put over 100 rounds through my Garand in a 3-gun match on Sunday.  My shoulder hurt a bit afterward.  ;)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline StuckInLAWithZombies

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
I reload 30-06 for my hunting rifle, so i've had my eye out for a decently priced Garand for a while, since I can cheaply put together loads for it.

I'll have to keep my eye on this.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
My sources tell me that $220 is the importer's purchase price, not the retail price.  CMP has put out a blast email stating that CMP is not an importer and they are not getting any of these.
:'(
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Erik from Seattle

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
Off on a tangent a bit --- it was wonderful to get a Garand in the mail from the CMP. Probably not my most sensible purchase ever, but I'd always wanted one.  I don't regret it -- in part for the pleasure of the doing, but also for the reminder that this too is a commodity I should get with free shipping via Amazon Prime....

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options