Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Natural Gas Kitchen Stove Not Dependent On Electricity  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Odysseus

Natural Gas Kitchen Stove Not Dependent On Electricity
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
I'm planning on replacing my electric stove with a natural gas model, but I've heard that many of the modern gas stoves are also dependent on electricity. My questions are

1. In what way are they dependent on electricity?
2. Is there a particular brand that is not?
3. If all brands have this dependency on electricity in some of their gas models, how do I make sure the one I buy does NOT (assuming I am buying new, not trying to find an older model)?

As always, thanks very much for allowing me to tap into your brains!  ;)

Offline Amisheggpicker

Re: Natural Gas Kitchen Stove Not Dependent On Electricity
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
We use propane....there are no natural gas lines out to our property....buts that's ok, because we can also purchase tanks for our stove....

When you buy a gas stove, you need to tell them that you want it for propane....the stoves usually come with two different orifices, one for propane and the other for natural gas

But if you live in a town, you might not be able to get the larger tanks for the propane....they have regulations that state how far from a building (living quarters) a tank can be placed...that is something you would have to look into.

I did have a problem purchasing a stove that does NOT have an electronic start....I went to Sears and found one very simple model.....not exactly what I wanted....I wanted one that was a little fancier...but that wasn't happening...

The sales person suggested to light the burners by hand if the electric went out....but when we looked at the oven, it was contained in such a way, that it would be a little difficult to light the oven that way...

So I had to get the cheaper simpler stove....oh well, it has four burners and an oven...!  But the salesman told me that they were doing away with that modl....so I hope this stove lasts a long time.

here is a link about the different gasses

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-propane-and-natural-gas.htm

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Cookstoves no longer have pilot lights; they use electronic ignition (it's what makes that 'clicking' noise before the flame starts).  I am not aware of new stoves that have pilot lights.  Pilot lights are not energy 'efficient', and so must not be made available to the ignorant American people who know not what is good for them.

You'll notice water heaters headed down this primrose path, too.

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
My stove has pilot lights...and it's less than 1 year old.  I had to special order from Sears, but I think they are going to discontinue it...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.