Author Topic: Disruptive Technologies  (Read 64904 times)

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
A Million-Year Hard Disk
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

Re: Disruptive Technologies
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
It seems to me that they aren't thinking clearly about this.....Trying to imagine how to communicate with a future civilization, without any intervening civilizations.

If this future civilization is so much more advanced than us, they will likely have the means to use or dispose of the radwaste.  If they are not more advanced, they will not be able to understand the dangers and any warning would be futile. 

And in the mean time, each successive generation can update the warnings as needed.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
It seems to me that they aren't thinking clearly about this.....Trying to imagine how to communicate with a future civilization, without any intervening civilizations.

If this future civilization is so much more advanced than us, they will likely have the means to use or dispose of the radwaste.  If they are not more advanced, they will not be able to understand the dangers and any warning would be futile. 

And in the mean time, each successive generation can update the warnings as needed.

True.  Another thing that they are forgetting, is that what's waste to us, may not be waste for others.  A good example is that plastics and epoxy is made from what was considered waste byproducts of the oil industry.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
Doc's right.  Most "official" thinking about the future suffers from this sort of linear stupidity.

Everything will be pretty much like right now, except it will be far, far in the future.

They probably said the same thing only eight thousand years ago, when they were starting to figure out agriculture. "Eight thousand years from now, they'll have much better sticks with which to poke holes in the ground for seeds."
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
Doc's right.  Most "official" thinking about the future suffers from this sort of linear stupidity.

Everything will be pretty much like right now, except it will be far, far in the future.

They probably said the same thing only eight thousand years ago, when they were starting to figure out agriculture. "Eight thousand years from now, they'll have much better sticks with which to poke holes in the ground for seeds."

Damn right we do.  Biggest damn stick you ever saw.

Maybe that's what Stonehenge is for - a warning to stay out of the circle until xxx years have passed.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
Show that thing to a stone age farmer, and he fall onto his face and worship it as a god.

As for the immortality thing - I'm doing my best to bootstrap my way far enough into the future, in half-way decent physical condition, to be able to take advantage of it.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:13:46 PM by Ken »

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
Scientists make monkeys smarter using brain implants.
« Reply #337 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:58 AM »

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator

Offline lpdbw

« Reply #339 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
I'm particularly fond of the laces on the spaceship.  :P

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm particularly fond of the laces on the spaceship.  :P

I'm betting they did that on purpose......

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
Artificially Intelligent Game Bots Pass the Turing Test
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
artificial molecular machine developed
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12042781/Google-D-Wave-quantum-computer-is-100-million-times-faster-than-your-PC.html
Google’s new quantum computer is '100 million times faster than your PC'

Google and Nasa have been working on a lightning-fast quantum computer that is 3,600 times faster than a supercomputer at solving complex problems
lGoogle's D-Wave quantum computer is pretty fastPhoto: YouTube[size=13px !important]By Mark Molloy[/size][/color]9:32PM GMT 09 Dec 2015167 CommentsHas Google won the race to build the world’s first commercial quantum computer? The technology company’s artificial intelligence lab believe they may finally have proof that their opinion-dividing quantum computer actually works. Google and Nasa announced they were collaborating on the D-Wave X2 quantum computer, which they say is 100 million times faster than a conventional computer chip, in 2013. It can answer certain algorithms in seconds rather than years. Google director of engineering, Hartmut Neven, said: “For a specific, carefully crafted proof-of-concept problem we achieve a 100-million-fold speed-up.” The D-Wave chip: designed to operate as a 128-qubit superconducting adiabatic quantum optimization processor, apparently  Photo: D WAVE SYSTEMS INC / COMMONSIn a blog post he added: “We found that for problem instances involving nearly 1,000 binary variables, quantum annealing significantly outperforms its classical counterpart, simulated annealing. It is more than 108 times faster than simulated annealing running on a single core.
[/size][size=13px !important]

It is a truly disruptive technology that could change how we do everything
Deepak Biswas, Nasa

“We also compared the quantum hardware to another algorithm called Quantum Monte Carlo. This is a method designed to emulate the behaviour of quantum systems, but it runs on conventional processors. “While the scaling with size between these two methods is comparable, they are again separated by a large factor sometimes as high as 108.” However, Matthias Troyer of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich said he wasn’t convinced. “You need to read the fine print,” he told New Scientist. “This is 108 times faster than some specific classical algorithm on problems designed to be very hard for that algorithm but easy for D-Wave.” Hemet does admit in his blog post that other algorithms can currently beat D-wave but says Google expect “those methods will soon become ineffective”. [/size][size=13px !important][/fo
According to [/size]Engadget, the computer figures out the “most efficient overall course of action to complete a task when given a set number of options” and could be key to the development of next-generation artificial intelligence. Sceptics have questioned if the computer actually taps into quantum physics to solve algorithms but now Google and Nasa say they have proof. “It is a truly disruptive technology that could change how we do everything,” said Deepak Biswas, director of exploration technology at Nasa's Ames research centre in California.

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
Update on PoD (Pharmacy on Demand)--yeah the thing's the size of an iPod Touch(who says the military doesn't have a sense of humor). and Battlefield Medicine, in general-----

http://www.darpa.mil/program/battlefield-medicine

[size=3.5rem]Battlefield Medicine[/size][size=2.6rem][/color][/size][size=inherit][/color]Dr. Tyler McQuade[/size][size=2.6rem]

[/size]

[size=1.4rem]
Battlefield logistics are a challenge regardless of the mission. Adversaries, terrain, and the environment can all serve to complicate the process of delivering supplies to warfighters. The current Department of Defense (DoD) approach to medical supply logistics is limited in its reach to far-forward emergency settings, response to emergent in-theater threats, and utility for bio-preparedness stockpiling. It can often take weeks to months to manufacture and airlift organic pharmaceuticals and protein therapeutics to battlefield frontlines, meaning that critical medical supplies often do not arrive in time where they are needed most. Furthermore, the need to prepare medical supplies in advance based on an anticipated, specific threat can result in wasted materials, labor, and money when that threat is not realized. The DoD needs a new approach to manufacturing and delivering pharmaceuticals to enhance disaster responsiveness and enable timely response to emergent threats.[/size][/font]
[/size][size=1.4rem]DARPA’s Battlefield Medicine program seeks to address this capability gap through two integrated research thrusts:  the Pharmacy on Demand (PoD) and Biologically-derived Medicines on Demand (Bio-MOD) initiatives. The combined efforts seek to develop miniaturized device platforms and techniques that can produce multiple small-molecule active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and therapeutic proteins in response to specific battlefield threats and medical needs as they arise. The PoD research is aimed at developing and demonstrating the capability to manufacture multiple APIs of varying chemical complexity using shelf-stable precursors, while the Bio-MOD research is focused on developing novel, flexible methodologies for genetic engineering and modification of microbial strains, mammalian cell lines, and cell-free systems to synthesize multiple protein-based therapeutics.  As a proof of concept, both PoD and Bio-MOD efforts will seek to develop platforms for manufacturing single-dose levels of FDA-approved APIs and biologics and demonstrate high purity, efficacy, and potency in short timeframes.  [/size]
[/size][size=1.4rem]In developing a flexible, miniaturized synthesis and manufacturing platform, Battlefield Medicine will leverage continuous flow approaches that will, if successful, pave the path forward for enabling distributed, on-demand medicine manufacturing capabilities in battlefield and other austere environments.  Additionally, the platform would have built-in flexibility to produce multiple types of therapeutics through its modular reaction design. The ultimate vision for Battlefield Medicine is to enable effective small-batch pharmaceutical production that obviates the need for individual drug stockpiling, cold storage, and complex logistics. [/size]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:27:36 PM by Ken »

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
I should also tell ya'll about WHY the PoD is so important.  Last quarter of last year (2014), I had gotten sick, with a series of illnesses.  I had thought they were just minor things, but had forgotten that my immune system was exceptionally potent. (I had one time, a prostate infection, and had a white cell count of over 23,000--don't ask me, but everyone at the clinic was impressed.  And I was still very functional.)  It appears we inherit the immunity factors from both our parents, and my parents have vastly different genetic heritage's.

Anyways, I was on the road to recovery, but had gotten both my feet sliced up.  I, of course dressed both feet.  Unknown to me, my immune system had been overtaxed, by the previously mentioned bouts of multiple illnesses.  The dressing on my right foot had come off, on Nov 3, without me noticing it.  I promptly redressed it.  By Nov 5, I noticed, as I cleaned and redressed both wounds, that the right foot seemed a little red, but didn't really seem bad, but I was concerned of a possible infection, so I made arrangement to go to the local VA clinic, the next day.

So I walked into the clinic, on the morning of Nov 6.  I made an appt. with my primary care Doctor, and sat down.  He's busy, so I had a wait, but it wasn't going to be long.  So I sat.  By the time, my appoint came up, I was no longer able to walk.  During the time I was waiting, unnoticed, my toes had started to die.  The were dying so fast, I hadn't even felt them die, but, oh yeah, they were starting to look melted.

I was still coherent, and through discussions with the Doctors, we had already determined I was going to have to have some amputation.  I was wheeled out on a gurney, to the Ambulance, and was on my way to Temple.  *sigh*  Why Temple VA Hospital, because the VA is quite frankly, better at handling an amputation.

With an MRI, they determined I already had necrotic bubbles, above the ankle.  They recommended, an above the knee amputation, just to be on the safe side.  I agreed.-Not happy, but seeing how fast the damn thing spread, I knew I only had a limited time to "contain" the infection.

The next thing I knew, I no longer had Right Leg.

Folks, I want to tell Everyone I can, as to how well the VA treated me.  I realize there some people that have different experiences, and while we all had problems, with waiting, the people on the medical side were outstanding.

One thing I hadn't realized was that the really powerful antibiotics have a limited potency time period.  Most of the ones I had, were to make sure I wasn't getting "colonized" by the nasty things that ate my foot.  They even checked my heart, just to be sure.

But back to the antibiotics, I was getting via IV, but they told me that the line up was on, originally, was a more general, but the stuff, I was on later, was specifically, to kill the the cause.  But after the pharmacist put it together, they had to be used, within the month.

And that's what the PoD(pharmacy on demand) is for.  Get the right medicines, to the soldiers, when they needed them.

Not to mention what they did to get me back on my foot.  They had a bioengineered skin graft that took a 11cm hole on my left foot and in just a week, made it less that 5cm. etc.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
23000 is pretty good. 

And infections of the lower extremities can go bad pretty quickly, even with people with fewer medical issues.

Which is why I keep telling people that there is no such thing as a little wound - they all need to be treated properly and watched.

Glad you're still with us.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Thank You, Doc

I'll also add, it was the Smallest cut, that got infected....

Wow, it still surprises me at how fast everything was.

Offline Ken

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Been awhile, since I added stuff, but here you go

Nanolaminated Metals. 

http://www.modumetal.com

These are metals literally grown, with new properties.  Metals 10X than steel, very much more corrosive resistance, etc.
they are grown in plastic tubs, and with electric fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBdqRcBwRs

This is a modern take on the blades of samurai swords.....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:20:18 PM by Ken »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk