Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Disruptive Technologies  (Read 44367 times)

Offline Ken

A Million-Year Hard Disk
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

Re: Disruptive Technologies
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
It seems to me that they aren't thinking clearly about this.....Trying to imagine how to communicate with a future civilization, without any intervening civilizations.

If this future civilization is so much more advanced than us, they will likely have the means to use or dispose of the radwaste.  If they are not more advanced, they will not be able to understand the dangers and any warning would be futile. 

And in the mean time, each successive generation can update the warnings as needed.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Ken

« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
It seems to me that they aren't thinking clearly about this.....Trying to imagine how to communicate with a future civilization, without any intervening civilizations.

If this future civilization is so much more advanced than us, they will likely have the means to use or dispose of the radwaste.  If they are not more advanced, they will not be able to understand the dangers and any warning would be futile. 

And in the mean time, each successive generation can update the warnings as needed.

True.  Another thing that they are forgetting, is that what's waste to us, may not be waste for others.  A good example is that plastics and epoxy is made from what was considered waste byproducts of the oil industry.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
Doc's right.  Most "official" thinking about the future suffers from this sort of linear stupidity.

Everything will be pretty much like right now, except it will be far, far in the future.

They probably said the same thing only eight thousand years ago, when they were starting to figure out agriculture. "Eight thousand years from now, they'll have much better sticks with which to poke holes in the ground for seeds."
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline BooMushroom

« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
Doc's right.  Most "official" thinking about the future suffers from this sort of linear stupidity.

Everything will be pretty much like right now, except it will be far, far in the future.

They probably said the same thing only eight thousand years ago, when they were starting to figure out agriculture. "Eight thousand years from now, they'll have much better sticks with which to poke holes in the ground for seeds."

Damn right we do.  Biggest damn stick you ever saw.

Maybe that's what Stonehenge is for - a warning to stay out of the circle until xxx years have passed.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
Show that thing to a stone age farmer, and he fall onto his face and worship it as a god.

As for the immortality thing - I'm doing my best to bootstrap my way far enough into the future, in half-way decent physical condition, to be able to take advantage of it.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Ken

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:13:46 PM by Ken »

Offline Ken

Scientists make monkeys smarter using brain implants.
« Reply #337 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:58 AM »

Offline lpdbw

« Reply #339 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
I'm particularly fond of the laces on the spaceship.  :P

Offline Ken

« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm particularly fond of the laces on the spaceship.  :P

I'm betting they did that on purpose......

Offline Ken

Artificially Intelligent Game Bots Pass the Turing Test
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline Ken

Offline Ken

artificial molecular machine developed
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting