Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Sumac "Lemonaide?"  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
Sumac "Lemonaide?"
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
Shepherd School: DIY prepper projects to survive disaster
Today we are going to take staghorn sumac and make a refreshing drink often called “sumac-aide”. Sumacs grow throughout the world with Staghorn Sumac (Rhus Hirta- Rhus Glabra) is the most common.

While we don’t use it as a spice here in North America, sumac “stags” are used as a traditional spice in many cultures in the middle east. If you dry and grind staghorn sumac you will find it has a tangy flavor that is often used with grilled meats and fish.

While one should eat wild food without first consulting a pictorial guide and/or an expert, it is very easy to distinguish staghorn sumac from poison sumac. The color of the leaves is the biggest distinguisher.

I dunno. This worries me a bit. I'm not sure I'd be in any hurry to rush out and dig up a bunch of sumac, give that getting it wrong might expose me to a horrific experience. (I nearly died as a kid from a massive poison ivy infection that got way out of control....)
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: Sumac "Lemonaide?"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Shall we play Spot the Typo?   :-X
While one should eat wild food without first consulting a pictorial guide and/or an expert, it is very easy to distinguish staghorn sumac from poison sumac. The color of the leaves is the biggest distinguisher.
Overall, taking chances with this may, for most people, be slightly safer than eating wild mushrooms without thorough training first, I tend to agree with you, Bill.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »

I'm not sure that the writer of that article really has ever made lemonaide out of staghorn sumac...because there is a very  distinguishable part between the two...the berries....staghorn's berries are on red furry like  and cone shaped. (thus the name "staghorn")  These grow like crazy here in my area of PA...I have them in my yard.   

Poison sumac, has different shaped leaves and its berries start out green then turn to white.  They do not have the furry cone shaped "horns" that the staghorn does.... They just have berries....

Of all the types of "wildcrafted" foods there are..  These are the easiest to distinuish...I think its the name "sumac" that strikes the fear of God into people.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/tove.html
http://landscaping.about.com/od/weedsdiseases/ig/Poison-Sumac-Pictures/Poison-Sumac-Berry.htm

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=83
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Dale00

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »
Your caution is refreshing. Too often we get advise on the internet that is dubious. Far better to err on the cautious side.

Like they say, "There are two kinds of mushroom hunters - the old and bold. Always learn from the old mushroom hunter, not the from the bold mushroom hunter."
"Test everything. Hold onto the good." 1 Thes 5:21

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
you know what Dale00, you are spot on  .....a Body should AWAYS check and cross reference what they see on here and other places....and use different resourses too.....

that's why I like this site, you are going to get various sides to things.......I have found that way to many folks on the net are talkers and not walkers....and you have to sort through all the fluff...I do like the net for pics and I did post pics of the difference between the two....and there is good info out there....

I'm not saying that the article wasn't accurate....my skepticism was whether or not the author ACTUALLY ever made it or drank it....because they would KNOW the difference between the berries....personally, if I were writing the article, I would have made that part CLEAR....because distinguishing between the leaves of the two could get confusing and hard to remember...

And I have drank sumac lemonaide...not sure of the nutritional value...its  plenty sour...so you need sweetner...I'm not sure I would call it a survival food...I would call it more of a pleasure food, because it enhances the drink....

One interesting thing though is I saw the article states that it is used as a spice....I'll have to look more into that..
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Earth Girl

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
Staghorn berries are very distinctive and I've snacked on them numerous times.  Someone told me that they were very high in vitamin C, but I haven't verified that.