Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: He said what?!  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
He said what?!
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not interested in conspiracy theories. 
However.
Constitutional Expert: “President Obama … Says That He Can Kill You On His Own Discretion" Without Charge or Trial | ZeroHedge

The guys at Zero Hedge have a tendency to take the extreme pessimistic view on just about everything.  And I am not familiar with "nationally-recognized constitutional law expert" Jonathan Turley's background, other than the fact that he is said to be a nationally-recognized constitutional law expert, who apparently appears on CSPAN a lot.

Y'know, I started calling Obama "His Imperial Majesty" on my blog right after the inauguration, to mock him.  I increasingly suspect he really believes that, what with all this "I'll do it with or without Congress..." crap.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline StuckInLAWithZombies

Re: He said what?!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 01:21:13 AM »
He believes it. Look at what he's trying to do with the Labor statistics people. He won't nominate a chief for the agency because that would have to be confirmed. Instead, he's putting his own pro labor lackey in as the ASSISTANT commissioner, who, without a boss, will have full power to tilt labor statistics his way before the election, and doesn't legally have to be confirmed by the Senate.

He'll do anything to circumvent the rules. He doesn't care, so long as our bucks end up in his friends pockets.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:09 AM »
Well, the Wikipedia page on Turley lists him as a "champion of progressive causes" and a frequent guest on Olbermann and Maddow.

So you can guess what kind of "Constitutional expert" he is.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
So Obama's lost the libtard Constitutional Law professor vote?   ::)
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
Well, the guy might actually be intellectually honest enough to stick to his positions - i.e., "I said this was bad when GWB43 was doing it, and now BHO wants to do it, too, and it's still bad."

If that's the case, I'll give him credit for being consistent, which is more than most leftists manage.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »
Well, the Wikipedia page on Turley lists him as a "champion of progressive causes" and a frequent guest on Olbermann and Maddow.

So you can guess what kind of "Constitutional expert" he is.
If we read further down the article, we see
However, Turley has a strong libertarian streak and sometimes infuriates the left with a contrarian position. For instance, he has said, “It is hard to read the Second Amendment and not honestly conclude that the Framers intended gun ownership to be an individual right.” In May 2009 the Daily Kos said that, "Jonathan Turley is an embarrassment!" because Turley had suggested that supreme court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor was not "brilliant" enough for the job. Moreover, Turley testified in favor of the Clinton impeachment.

In another commentary that outraged progressives, Turley defended Judge Henry E. Hudson's ruling declaring the individual mandate unconstitutional for violating the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, saying: "It’s very thoughtful—not a screed. I don’t see any evidence this is motivated by Judge Hudson’s personal beliefs. . . . Anybody who’s dismissing this opinion as a political screed has obviously not read the opinion."
and
The conceptual thread running through many of the issues taken on by Turley is that they involve claims of Executive Privilege. For example, he said, "the president’s claim of executive authority based on Article II would put our system on a slippery slope." He has argued against national security exceptions to fundamental constitutional rights.

He is a frequent witness before the House and Senate on constitutional and statutory issues as well as tort reform legislation.

Turley has testified in Congress against President Bush's warrantless domestic surveillance program and was lead counsel in a case challenging it. In regard to warrantless wiretaps he noted that, "Judge Anna Diggs Taylor chastised the government for a flagrant abuse of the Constitution and, in a direct message to the president, observed that there are no hereditary kings in America."

When Congressional Democrats asked the justice department to investigate the CIA's destruction of terrorist interrogation tapes Turley said, "these are very serious allegations, that raise as many as six identifiable crimes ranging from contempt of Congress, to contempt of Justice, to perjury, to false statements."

In October 2006, in an interview by Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, he expressed strong disapproval of the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

When the U. S. Senate was about to vote on Michael Mukasey for U.S. attorney general, Turley said, "The attorney general nominee's evasive remarks on 'water-boarding' should disqualify him from the job." On the treatment of terrorism suspect Jose Padilla Turley says, "The treatment of Padilla ranks as one of the most serious abuses after 9/11...This is a case that would have shocked the Framers. This is precisely what many of the drafters of the Constitution had in mind when they tried to create a system of checks and balances." This is important because, "Padilla's treatment by the military could happen to others."
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Turley gets labeled a liberal whenever he doesn't swallow whatever legal bullhooey the conservative statists are pushing as being necessary in the great trade of liberty for security.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Langenator

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
Guess I should have read the whole thing instead of just the header.  My bad.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
Not bad, Lang.  Turley is kinda libertarian, and like most libertarians, he confuses the heck out of both sides.  

I run into it all the time, myself.  I'm a pinko commie because I don't advocate burning gays at the stake and banning masturbation because it's abortion, and yet I'm also a fascist wingnutzzzz because I don't have any problem with invading and destroying the Islamic regimes of Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia as the logical response to the terror attacks launched by surrogates of all of those radical Islamic regimes against our interests and our homeland.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:10 AM »
Guess I should have read the whole thing instead of just the header.  My bad.
With the Wikipedia article starting out with his "Progressive" credentials, it's an understandable assumption.
Not bad, Lang.  Turley is kinda libertarian, and like most libertarians, he confuses the heck out of both sides. 
I run into it all the time, myself...
I avoid it, 'cuz they ass-u-me that, being a retired Army NCO and all, I'm obviously a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal conservative, philosophically somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun.
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:11:24 AM »
I avoid it, 'cuz they ass-u-me that, being a retired Army NCO and all, I'm obviously a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal conservative, philosophically somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun.

Wait...you say that like it's not a good thing?
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »
Wait...you say that like it's not a good thing?

Exactly!  ;D
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011

Offline Coleman Junkie

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »
All incoming presidents get two free kills.  Everyone knows that.

B
Member of the Church of the Blessed St. John Thomas Rourke since 1983

Your Ad Here - Email for Info
Help Support E-P.com
Even A Buck Makes A Difference!
Or Make Convenient Monthly
Donations By Selecting
A Payment Option
Payment Options