Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: manual hydraulic wood splitter  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
manual hydraulic wood splitter
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
This was a tough summer for my husband and I.  Before I had surgery to remove a tumor, I got pretty weak and eventually could barely walk.  He had to do double duty...I think I might have got down to the garden twice...and only for about 1/2 hour at a time.  A lot of things that normally would be completed by now, did not get down...so he is scrambling to try to catch up before the snow flies....which is very very soon...we have already had a few flakes fall.

So I decided to surprise him and try to lift a burden from him.  I purchased a manual hydraulic wood splitter from Harbor Freight....As I was being wheeled into surgery, I told him that a surprise was going to be delivered to him the next morning...

And it's a dandy...not only does he like it...but I can use it also...it is a heavy little thing, but it really works well...sure beats splitting wood by hand...and the other advantage is this....you don't need any gasoline....great for a teotwawki situation.  Now all we need to do is get the blocks hauled from the top of the hill down to the house...Once we get it all stacked, we can just split enough wood for a few days use.  We tarp our porch and place the wood on it..that way we just walk out the kitchen door and can get our wood...and its protected from the weather...not exactly pretty...but pretty convenient.  Beside we live in a fairly remote place and NO ONE comes back here during the winter...and for that part...hardly anyone comes back here in the summer either! hahahahahaha!

Wood splitter

This year we have blocks, but they still need split because we have a wood burner in our house and it has a small burner box.
This is a piece of red oak, a hardwood, about 1  1/2 foot long.

Now you take one of the tall handles, either one will do, and start working it back and forth....it takes NO EFFORT at all...
Here is the wedge part of the wood splitter, piercing the wood.

A couple more cranks and the wood begins to split.

And now its split in two.

Here is a pic of the front of the woodsplitter.  The knob on the top is what you turn when you want the splitter to open back up so you can place a new piece of wood in...

Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
Re: manual hydraulic wood splitter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Good old China Freight.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
I guess your going to have to elaborate...I'm can be a little thick...China Freight?

Offline lpdbw

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
Nearly every product from Harbor Freight comes from China.

I suspect it's a pejorative nickname.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »
dunno about "pejorative". most of the folks who use the term shop there frequently.  Rarely for tools that will see heavy use--they have few tools that are of contractor-grade--but I suspect this wood splitter would be an exception.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »
Most (nearly all) of the tools products from Harbor Freight are of very marginal quality...and priced accordingly.

However, sometimes when you only need something once (a gear puller, for example) very marginal is acceptable.  Or if you have time to take broken junk back to exchange, the lower price is worth the trip.  Not to Missoula, though :)

OTOH, every now and then the prices are quite good for what you're getting.

And the PDARK has it's own version of HF:  "Princess Auto".  Same deal.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
That's a little pricey for us right now, & the Critter is still living here & splitting our wood. But one of these days he's going to move out. When he does I'll try to remember to check with you & see if you still like the Harbor Freight splitter.  :)
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Well all,
Let's hope that this was one of those good deals....there is one heck of a lot of wood to be split...I looked at my dads gasoline one...his is huge and on wheels so he can two it behind his truck...to get an idea how they work....and even his has broken down....I didn't have thousands of bucks to buy one...

This one seems really sturdy...the only thing I'm a little iffy on is the handles...but those could be easily repaired if they broke...and I do believe if you took care of the machine, they wouldn't break...

Like you flight ER Doc...we have to travel aways to shop....the shortest place is 1/2 hour away....and ironically lot's of folks around here shop Harbor Freight, which is in ohio, about a 2 hour drive....I was a little surprised at the negative reviews on Harbor Freight...maybe we are just a bunch of hick po folks...hahahahah!  But I have seen some of the things my neighbors have purchased, and the products seem good to me...but maybe it's all in what you are looking for.

So guys....what is a good store to buy from....we are really limited on what's available here.

Bonnie...my children are spread all over the world...one is a missionary in Australia...one is a sargent in the Marine Corp, and he dances all over tim buck two...on in in PA, but not near us to help out and the last one is a former Marine whom set her feet down near Quantico VA...so my husband and I are on our own...and getting older and hurt more and more...hahahahaha!  So this thing better last....

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Egg, I just posted a Deal on log splitters, and I think yours is in there.  I read the reviews on them, and you're right - the only complaints I saw were on the handles either bending or breaking.  I think you could probably put solid bar in there and use it for a long time if one of your handled got munged up.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »
Up date on the wood splitter...we made it nicely through one season, and are now entering into a second one.  To be fair, last year was a very mild winter. One handle did bend slightly...not enough to concern me....and even at that, those handles slip out of the machine with ease.  I can go to my Dad's and look around in his junk piles (he scraps metal) and I'm positive that he will have something more solid that we can use if needed....or he will fashion me something....aren't Dad's great?

For some reason, my Grandchildren who live in the city, LOVE to use the wood splitter....that is all they want to do....now they are too little to really do much, but they think they are doing a tremendous thing.  hahahah!  We let them do as much as they want, because we know that in the not so distant future, this novelty will wear off...hahahah...

Even the baby asked to help....I made the error of saying that she was too little....and she puckered up her face as was about to cry...then I remembered that my Dad never let size or the fact that I was a girl, deter me....my father encouraged us and taught us whatever he saw necessary to make the farm run....Geeh....he even had my own daughter helping on his oil wells...hahahah! (not uncommon site around here to see women working on oil wells, or driving big machinery)
So with a little help from my husband, she got to help also.

The not so fun part.  All the wood has to be hauled down a hill, about 360 feet....no one likes this chore...hahahah...
One of three piles needing to be hauled....(thank goodness for the wood splitter, because this used to be split by hand..)

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
I love the expression on that little boy's face in your last pic, Egg! ;D
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone