Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: How to make charcoal  (Read 924 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
How to make charcoal
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
Does anyone recall if anyone else posted "how to make charcoal"....I have the instructions to post...but want to make sure no one has put it on somewhere else....
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
Re: How to make charcoal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
Well, I just did a home-page search for make charcoal, and no instructions turned up, so you should be good to go with this.

Besides, redundancy is a good thing in prepping!  ;D
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

Offline North

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
ok...instead of typing out the instructions....I'll just post the link on here...I have never made it before, I dont use charcoal...but I keep this in my book of usefull things I might need some day....I SERIOUSLY have a 3 ring binder like this...you never know when you might need the knowledge.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Charcoal

It's a little different from the link posted by NOrth....but knowing several ways is good...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:48:33 AM by Amisheggpicker »
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
this thread kept making me want to post something, but I couldn't remember what it was making me think of.
Then I ran across this passage in Tros of Samothrace:
But the worst had been the charcoal burners. They, too, were a guild and, like the blacksmiths, they were the descendants of swarthy tribes who lorded it in Britain long before the Trinobantes and Iceni came from some forgotten mainland. Conquered and, in a sense, submerged, they had retained their freedom, scorned by the aristocratic Britons, living in their own forest villages of mud and boughs, refusing even to trade charcoal unless they were more than usually hungry.
Yet Tros had needed and continued to need charcoal of the best, almost as much as he needed heart of oak and metal. He had tried raiding their chickens and pigs to reduce them to reason; had tried overpayment, bonuses for quality, and floggings for broken promises, but had failed until at last he found their hermit-priest, half druid, half sorcerer, and by bribing him with smoked cod's roe and herring oil had ensured deliveries of the best stuff, kilned, of willow, not oak sticks, burned in heaps beneath a cover of wet turf.
Which helps explain why I was wanting to make cracks about how becoming a charcoal burner entails a drop in social status...
ISTR that Charcoal Burners had a piece of one of the Brother Cadfael mysteries, and may have made an appearance in one of Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill stories, as well.
Sometimes being a geek kinda sucks... :D
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline CERDIP

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Huh.*looks at the two how-to links*

My grandfather used to cook his charcoal underground. Not sure how much he actually made in a batch, but it took a lot of shoveling into re-used burlap bags when it was cooled.
Keep Cool, But Do Not Freeze.