Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: FLIR Camera  (Read 1517 times)

Offline cd

FLIR Camera
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/13/flir-scout-ps-series-ps24-ps32/

... With a relatively low price of $1,999, the new FLIR Scout PS24 Thermal Camera brings thermal imaging within the reach of many consumers who need thermal capabilities for hunting or for locating lost people or livestock.

What most people don't realize is that the temperature contrast works just as well during the day as it does at night.

Hmmm...

5 hour battery life is underwhelming...

Offline Langenator

Re: FLIR Camera
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
Even the thermal sights the military uses burn through batteries pretty quick.  The sensors have to be kept pretty cold to work.

The Command Launch Unit (CLU) for the Javelin missile, which uses a thermal sight, runs about 4 hours.

The Light Weight Thermal Sight (LWTS) version of the AN/PAS-13 runs on 4 AAs and lasts about 5 hours.  There are heavier versions (Medium and Heavy) that run on 6 lithium AAs for about 6.5 hours.

So 5 hours for a civvy thermal would seem about right.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
Even the thermal sights the military uses burn through batteries pretty quick. 
I once proposed a new corollary for SGT Murphy's Law:
The lighter in weight they make it, the more batteries you have to hump.
Of course, I was a Light Fighter at the time.
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline cd

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Even the thermal sights the military uses burn through batteries pretty quick.  The sensors have to be kept pretty cold to work.

The Command Launch Unit (CLU) for the Javelin missile, which uses a thermal sight, runs about 4 hours.

The Light Weight Thermal Sight (LWTS) version of the AN/PAS-13 runs on 4 AAs and lasts about 5 hours.  There are heavier versions (Medium and Heavy) that run on 6 lithium AAs for about 6.5 hours.

So 5 hours for a civvy thermal would seem about right.
OK. According to this PDF, the thing has a "Hot Shoe" that allows AC and Car Adapter/Charger function. :)

Cool. Expensive, but cool...

Offline Langenator

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »
I once proposed a new corollary for SGT Murphy's Law:Of course, I was a Light Fighter at the time.

Well, I think the CLU does better than the thermal sight for the old Dragon.  And it uses the same batteries as the radios (SINCGARS type).

One thing that has improved a lot since the start of OEF is reducing the number of things that run on specialized batteries.  Most things now run on the SINCGARS type, AAs, or the occasionnal 9v.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
One of the best improvements the military has made in the last 30 years...standardizing on batteries.

It used to be that the military would buy a new gizmo....which was powered by some unique battery.  The manufacturers would claim it was for technical reasons, but in reality it was to ensure a continuous revenue stream for them (since they were the only supplier for that battery).

We used to have PRC-91 survival radios in aircraft survival kits, which used a different battery than the SDU-5E survival strobe light, which used a different battery than the URT-33 seat beacon....all different, all big, all heavy so we couldn't carry spares for them.

Now mostly all AA's, a darned good thing.  But it's getting to the point where an infantryman is carrying more weight in batteries for a 3 day patrol than ammunition.
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Sells adapters for many old .mil batteries.
If and when I dig out my old strobe, I I'll get the adapter for it...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Sells adapters for many old .mil batteries.
If and when I dig out my old strobe, I I'll get the adapter for it...

Hehehe....yes, I know of those.  They work great on the PRC-90, and the strobes, although I like the modern replacement for the strobes more
Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed