Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Dehydrating Mashed Potatoes  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Amisheggpicker

Dehydrating Mashed Potatoes
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
I LOVE this.....
Boil your potatoes to the point of where you are going to make mashed potatoes.....mash them up with a hand masher, don't add any milk or butter....I added a small amount of chicken bullion granules for flavor....this will give the mashed potatoes a slight yellow color....unlike making dehydrated potato slices, mashed potatoes do not need a lemon juice soak, because the potatoes are fully cooked, thus stopping the oxidation in the potatoes.

At this point some folks add water to make them thinner, but I didn't....spread the mashed potatoes on your dehydrator sheets and dehydrate until very crispy.....

Break up the pieces and store in an airtight container...(I put the pieces in a ziplock and bang the flat edge of a meat pounder against the bag to break the pieces up smaller, some folks put the pieces in a blender)

When ready to make mashed potatoes, bring a small amount of water to boil and add potato pieces ....I going to estimate that I added 1 cup pieces to 1 cup boiling water....Boil about 5 minutes until the pieces dissolve and become reconstituted mashed potatoes.....I then added a little milk and butter, salt and pepper....

These are way better than Potato flakes that you get from the store, plus no preservatives...

I am thinking of adding some powdered milk to some dehydrated potatoes and the salt and pepper and see how that works.....I will measure and get an exact mixture so that we will have a recipe to make mixes with....
Then I can vacuum seal mashed potato mixes...
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Rancher

Re: Dehydrating Mashed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
This is great! ;D

I saw similar on this site    http://www.backpackingchef.com/food-dehydrator-recipes.html

I like the fact that it's edible (and tasty) without re-hydrating.

Online Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Amisheggpicker -

Got some questions. I "flaked" my dried potatoes in the blender so ended up using much more water than 1:1. Since I was frantically tossing in more water I'm not sure how much extra I used - might have been up to 2 cups more. Added milk & butter - didn't taste quite right. Remembered the salt - much better.

But the texture is strange - kind of gummy. Could that be from the variety of potatoes? They're just the cheap russets that go on sale for about $2/10 lb bag. We already ate up the red & yellow potatoes from our garden (we never seem to get many & this year the garden was a total disaster). Also, they didn't come out fluffy like the store-bought potatoes. I suspect that they freeze-dry the potatoes, rather than the slower dehydrating that we do. My husband suggested that next time I use the mixer on them to fluff them up a bit. He liked them, so even if the texture doesn't suit me, it will be worth dehydrating more for him. I'm not supposed to eat them anyway.  ;D

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
 question....did you flake your dehydrated potato slices?  Because the directions that I use for dehydrating potatoe slices call for you to just "blanch" the potatoes slices for x amount of minutes....I think I have a post on that somewhere on the dehydrating board...

When I did the mashed potatoes...they were completely cooked and mashed just like I would to make mashed potatoes....but I left out the milk and butter.....I did add a little of the cookingwater, just enough to make it spreadable on the dehydrating sheets...

That might make the difference...because I noticed that the Potatoe slices and also the dehydrated hash potatoes take much longer to cook when I rehydrate them (because they were dehydrated in a blanched state)...and if I don't cook them enough, they get that Raw taste...but the mashed potatoes only take a few minutes to cook because they were already cooked to begin with...

If you can have rice...try cooking some long grain and dehydrate that...it is oh so good...and only takes minutes to reconstitute, but still has the "long" grain taste...

Online Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:18 PM »
I dehydrated the mashed potatoes & flaked the lumps in the blender. When I dehydrated potato slices, I noticed the same gumminess. Those work best in stews.

Russet potatoes are on sale again this week - 10 lbs for $1.68. Nether husband or the Critter minded the texture so it's worth it to dehydrate more mashed potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are on sale, too. I love them any way except canned or with marshmallows. Have you ever dehydrated them?

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
I just crumbled them up with my hand....

on the sweet potatoes...yes I have and they make good snack chips also....I think you probably would like them...since you like sweet potatoes...

I think I have a post on making squash bark...which is similar in taste to the sweet potato chips.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
I think I could probably eat two or three pounds of barbecue flavored sweet potato chips at a sitting.... ;D

And I'm sorta curious about what home-smoked sweet potato chips might taste like.  I have a Stovetop Smoker  I used quite a bit on meats....  Bet it would work on sweet potato chips, too.

Egg, how thin do you make your slices?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:37:01 PM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Online Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
I just crumbled them up with my hand....

:o Mine were like rocks - no way I could crumble them by hand! I plopped the mashed potatoes on the tray in lumps about the size (but not shape) of a tater tot.

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
Bonnie,
Try spreading the mashed potatoes about 1/4 inch thick across your tray....this work well...and you will be able to crumble them up....good luck...

Bill, I use one of those hand graters...you know the kind that you can grate cheese with, but also slice carrots or potatoes...this slices them relative thin.

I have never eaten them bbq style...but  it sounded good and I found this link with a recipe....I'm going to try it!
http://wellpreserved.ca/2011/01/17/dehydrated-spicy-bbq-sweet-potato-chips/

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »
Egg, that recipe looks delicious! 
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline four + four

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
All of you...do you hear my printer grinding?  I am taking to heart all of what you all have just shared!  This is something I have never done...eager to give it a whirl!  Quite literally!

Online Bonnie

• Bonnie's Books & More
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Back to the original subject - dehydrated smashed taters. I made another batch. This time, I didn't put the taters on the trays right away cause I got busy with something else. I had whipped them instead of mashing, then left them covered. The potatoes were barely over room temperature when I got back to them. They went onto the trays MUCH better than before. I ended up with small bits instead of rocks. That might have been due to the whipping, or perhaps both it & letting them cool.

Haven't rehydrated them yet, but the pieces are so much smaller I'm storing them as-is instead of grinding them up in the blender.

I also dehydrated celery for the first time - it turned out great!
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

BonniesBooks.net

Offline Amisheggpicker

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
my kids used to eat the dehydrated celery as a snack.....It sure was hard to keep much of anything around when they were home...hahahah....so I became adept in hiding things....today my little granddaughter whom is 3 needed some toilet paper....so I went to my stockpile and got out a package...and she said to me...Grandma, why do you hide toilet paper...hahahahah!  I wanted to tell her it was reminicent of the days when her mother thought toilet paper grew on trees...that kid could go through a roll a day!   hahahahah...but I didn't say it...I just laughed...

Glad your taters turned out too!