Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Maybe This Is Why Cops Don't Want Us To Take Photos  (Read 995 times)

Offline SilverDeth

• ...a propagandist by inclination...
Maybe This Is Why Cops Don't Want Us To Take Photos
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
PIXIQ
Maybe This Is Why Cops Don't Want Us To Take Photos
Seattle cops "embarrassed" at photo of AR-15 rifle carelessly left on trunk of car
By Carlos Miller

http://www.pixiq.com/article/maybe-this-is-why-cops-dont-want-us-to-take-photos

Not only does this Seattle police car appear to be parked more than 12 inches from the curb, its officers carelessly left this AR-15 rifle sitting on the trunk of the car while they ate donuts or drank gourmet coffee or whatever it is Seattle cops do when they are not abusing citizens.

A camera-carrying citizen snapped a photo, then flagged down a couple of bike-riding Seattle cops while a woman then followed the cop car around with the rifle in the back.

So gathering from the *little **details provided by The Stranger, is appears that the cops then returned to the car and started driving it, oblivious to the high-power rifle sitting on the trunk.

Police officials now say they are "very embarrassed" over the incident, adding that they are not sure if the gun was loaded, which means it probably was.

* http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/06/28/ar-15-left-sitting-on-trunk-of-seattle-police-car

** http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/06/28/the-seattle-police-department-is-very-embarrassed-after-leaving-unattended-ar-15-rifle-on-trunk-of-patrol-car

I would however like to voice a slight objection.  Anyone calling the AR platform a "high powered rifle" clearly knows nothing about guns.  At least they got the things name right.

:P
"There are many things worse than dying, and there are some things far more important than living."
- Me, 2004

Offline StuckInLAWithZombies

Re: Maybe This Is Why Cops Don't Want Us To Take Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
Depends. Could have been a .308, I do know a few cops who carry around an AR clone in that caliber. Then it would actually be high powered~

Offline Langenator

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
I'd argue that .308 / 7.62 NATO is 'standard power.' Along with .30-06, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, .303, etc.  The military bolt guns calibers that arose in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

High-powered would be most of the various hunting magnums - 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, etc, .338 Lapua, any of the 'elephant gun' dangerous game loads, and of course, .50 BMG.

And the pic plainly shows a magazine in the rifle.  It's loaded.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:32:40 AM »
Depends. Could have been a .308, I do know a few cops who carry around an AR clone in that caliber. Then it would actually be high powered~
Seattle uses .223.

And former Chief Kerlokowske, now His Imperial Majesty's Drug Czar, still hasn't recovered the Seattle PD-issued Glock 26 he has stolen out of his car one day...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline mike40-11

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
There's no 'maybe' about it.  This is exactly why they don't like peasants with cameras. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any effect it does or doesn't have on policing.  Too much documentation of idiotic, unethical, and illegal behavior might result in <GASP> accountability...

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
Too much documentation of idiotic, unethical, and illegal behavior might result in <GASP> accountability...

Ding ding ding ding ding....
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Oh I grant you that in the real world, .308 isn't all that high powered. I shoot a 7mm STW sometimes, so I know the difference.

But at least an anti-gun journalist could be forgiven for thinking it was~

Offline cd

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
I'd argue that .308 / 7.62 NATO is 'standard power.' Along with .30-06, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, .303, etc.  The military bolt guns calibers that arose in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

High-powered would be most of the various hunting magnums - 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, etc, .338 Lapua, any of the 'elephant gun' dangerous game loads, and of course, .50 BMG.

Interesting perspective. Not to sound like a total old geezer or anything, but I kinda look at it from a "designed for smokeless powder" divide. The old brush-buster rifle rounds .30-30, .45-70 (I'd throw .35 Rem in there) are rifle rounds, but not exactly "high powered." So the 7x57 Mauser kinda starts the "high powered" rifle spectrum for me. The overbore magnums do belong in their own separate class, but I won't demote the Mauser and .30-06 / .308 to .30-30 class to get that job done. FWIW...

Offline AuricTech

• Interrogator at Large
    • AuricTech Thoughts
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
Oh I grant you that in the real world, .308 isn't all that high powered. I shoot a 7mm STW sometimes, so I know the difference.

But at least an anti-gun journalist could be forgiven for thinking it was~

Heck, if that's the standard, then anything more powerful that a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun is "high powered," and even that's marginal.  After all, you could shoot your eye out with a Red Ryder  :o (which is why you should wear  8) when shooting [but probably not that dark]).
American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere....

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »
Oh come on now, a .308 is hardly a BB gun.

I'll grant you the .223/5.56 because its damn near .22 caliber :P But anything 30 caliber and up is reasonably high powered. No magnum, I grant you, but plenty powerful.

Offline Echo Alpha

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
Sorry all for pointing out the obvious but ANY centerfire rifle cartridge IS classed as being "high powered" as opposed to rimfire ammunition.  The actual relative differences between various centerfire rounds are not really the issue here in legal mumbo jumbo land where the term "high powered" comes from.  By the way the 7mm Rem Mag has a very important advantage over the other 7mm's,you can use hogden 870 powder with non magnum primers to get very good ballistics providing you are comfortable with drop tubes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:48:06 PM by Echo Alpha »