Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Battery backup for CPAP machine works!  (Read 3029 times)

Offline CarolinaJoe

Battery backup for CPAP machine works!
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »
The recent storms here in NC gave me an opportunity to test some of my stuff. Thankfully, I was spared the worst of the weather, but my power was knocked out one night last week and I tried out a backup battery for my CPAP.

I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and an extended power outage some years back convinced me to find some sort of backup.  Well, I bought what amounts to a good sized lithium ion battery pack and adapter, but hadn’t tested it until last week.  The thing seems to work great!  Granted, I think I only slept for maybe 6 hours, but the thing was still running strong when I woke up.

http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/CPAP.com-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pack-with-Respironics-12v-DC-Cable.html

I hear battery backups for CPAP machines are easier to come by now since manufacturers figured out customers wanted them and started selling them as optional equipment.  Sadly, my machine is a bit old, so I had to buy third party.

Offline StuckInLAWithZombies

Re: Battery backup for CPAP machine works!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
Yeah, I have the same battery for mine, it'll go about 2 nights without a recharge on my DeVilbiss machine.

Another option, if you don't want to spend big bucks on the portable Li-ion is to use your car jumpstarter. I often use that if we have power issues, or if i'm car camping. It's not terribly portable for a long hike, but it'll power my machine for 3 days without the humidifier with no recharge, and they are under 100 dollars. It can also be recharged from a running car, so in a long power outage that's an advantage.

Offline Suburban

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »
I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and an extended power outage some years back convinced me to find some sort of backup.

Two night time power outages in 3 months convinced me to find a backup power solution for my CPAP.  Per my Kill-A-Watt meter, the CPAP drew only 25 VA (the nameplate showed a much higher power draw).  Costco briefly had Coleman 55 watt solar electric systems on sale for under $200.  This included the panels, mounting frame, cabling (short), a charge controller, and an inverter.  I added a 125 A/hr deep cycle battery from Walmart in a battery box.  A length of 10 gauge cable allowed me to extend the power from the panels on the roof to the deep cycle in the bedroom.  I figured that even with the power losses in the inverter and battery, 55 watts should keep up with the CPAP draw, and so far it has (check the battery charge with a hydrometer).  The 125 A/hr battery gives me leeway for overcast days as it could run my CPAP for 3 days without charging and not get under 50% charge.  With inexpensive lead acid deep cycle batteries running them down to less than 50% charge greatly reduces the battery life.  I have exclusively run my CPAP and charged my cell phone from this setup for 3 weeks now.

After my success with the CPAP, I am now setting up a duplicate system to power my ham radio.

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
Sounds like a good setup.  I'm finally fixning to buy my solar rig.  Solar panels aren't too expensive now, but the inverter will probably cost me a bit as I want to have a pure sine wave.

Offline Suburban

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
the inverter will probably cost me a bit as I want to have a pure sine wave.

Pure sine wave is nice, and some things work much better on pure sine wave (for example some audio gear).  However, if what you are powering has a universal power supply (often 100 to 250 volts with no switching) such as my CPAP and the charger for my cell phone, then the cheap inverters with their "modified sine wave" (more honestly called modified square wave) output will power the gear just fine.  Equipment with this sort of wide voltage range power supplies are very accepting of less than perfect power.

The cheap Sunforce brand 200 watt inverter included with the Coleman solar system I purchased runs my CPAP, charges my cell phone, and even runs the CFL bulb in the lamp on my nightstand just fine.