Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Who would I trust to know that I'm a prepper?  (Read 16418 times)

Offline SilverDeth

• ...a propagandist by inclination...
Re: Who would I trust to know that I'm a prepper?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
The snakes were not so much in the water as they were around it, the rocks, hell everywhere.  I can't imagine what it would have been like down south having to deal with water moccasins...

They called it Rattlesnake Creek. for a reason.

:-X
"There are many things worse than dying, and there are some things far more important than living."
- Me, 2004

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »
The snakes were not so much in the water as they were around it, the rocks, hell everywhere.  I can't imagine what it would have been like down south having to deal with water moccasins...

They called it Rattlesnake Creek. for a reason.

:-X

Just something to consider...there is a world-renowned herpitoligist (that isn't spelled right, but I mean a snake-expert) who has spent his years tagging rattlesnakes with radio transmitters so as to get an idea of their movements and such.   He noticed that about 40% of the time, the snake was found to be in a tree branch.  I could have gone a long time without knowing that.

But, on the other hand, about 10% to 15% of the critters seemed to just starve to death while waiting for prey to wander by.

Offline cd

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
As a matter of survival, I would suggest freely and voluntarily giving up that which you will eventually loose anyway.  (You can't very well hide that big garden out back.)  As part of polishing your image as a civic minded individual be willing to share - you go fishing and catch more than enough for your immediate needs, offer some of the catch to your neighbors or if the quantity warrant,  take it up to the fire house for the communal pot. Above all use common sense, when all around you are loosing weight, don't be the fat guy on the block.
A retreat on junk land, where next to no one wants to be, with enough supplies to last until Darwin has his way... ?  :-\

Offline Paul

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
This sort of undermines the entire reason for prepping in the first place.  I certainly don't see any reason to spend my time and energy preparing for emergencies, solely so I can turn the results over to people who didn't do so.   By your logic, I'd do better to store up a gun and some ammo, and join the local fire department.

I suspect you are looking at prepping from an primarily urban perspective.  I come from a much more rural environment and I know that some things I do can not be hidden.  Like many for example, we have a nice garden out back.  It is not like the pot farms or whiskey stills they show on television that are hidden out in the woods someplace.  It can be seen from the road, and if it can be seen, it is a reasonably obvious target for expropriation.  What can not be seen from the highway are the fruit and vegetables we have carefully canned, dried, frozen and tucked away against a rainy day.  Those are our preps which I would not voluntarily disclose or give up without a fight.  The garden and our fruit trees are a means to accumulating more preps.  In other words, we strive to have sufficient food and supplies on hand to make do without the proceeds of this years garden patch. If there is snow in July due to Krakatoa II, or if this years crop is stolen or expropriated, we won't starve and we still have the seed for a couple more tries.

As for joining the fire department, if I were younger, I would certainly do so.  Our survival as a species has always depended upon organization and the implicit recognition that the "lone wolf" survival rate is nil.  It is our nature to form a a family group that eventually evolves into the band, the tribe, and the nation state, each seceding level providing greater security and greater odds of individual survival.  Daniel Boone went alone into the wilderness, but as soon as it was feasible, he went back, rounded up his family and friends to form a settlement.  So too, the Jim Bridger's of their day went into the Rocky mountains, not as individuals, but as members of a company, a band of like minded men who knew that there was safety in numbers.  Our churches, service organizations, veterans group and volunteer fire departments are in many ways the modern equivalent of the tribe.  You can be in or you can be out.  Push comes to shove, I would much rather be in.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
If and when... some group such as the volunteer fire department, will undoubtedly at least attempt to take charge.  They will coordinate rescue, set up emergency shelters and distribute such supplies as are available.  As a part of this procedure, I believe it is safe to assume that they would also feel free to "requisitions" whatever was thought necessary to this end.  That would include whatever is left on store shelves, in gas stations, restaurants, school lunchrooms, local farms, etc.  When the emergency is dire, such requisitioning eventually extends to individuals with scores being settled and neighbor denouncing neighbor.

As a matter of survival, I would suggest freely and voluntarily giving up that which you will eventually loose anyway.
It is this with which I take issue.  You posit a volunteer fire department organizing to loot the supplies (not "hoardings," not "gougings") of those who were sensible enough to prepare, and you seem okay with that, recommending that we preppers simply give them our preps.

In a few words:  Over my dead body, and yes, I understand it may go that way.  But the volunteer fire department will be as much smaller as I can make it before I go.  Nobody has a right to steal from me, under any circumstances whatsoever, including the end of the world.

Yes, I speak from an urban perspective.  Quite a few folks live in urban areas, and not a few of them are preppers.  We have our own special problems, but your problem will be facing those urban hordes when they come boiling out of the cities looking to appropriate your preps.  If your local volunteer fire department has left you any.  With any luck, if we manage to keep our heads down and bug in, they'll overlook us in their eagerness to find richer pickings - in a word, you.

As for reaching you, well, some folks think that being 300 miles or so from a major urban area will protect them.  I suspect that if it ever comes to pass, they will discover that they are wrong.

By the way, for what I think is a fairly realistic view of what will come out of the cities looking for food, read either the second book of Nova's American Apocalypse series, American Apocalypse II - Refuge, or Bill Forstchen's One Second After
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:08:31 PM by Bill Quick »
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline Les Nessman

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »
I can see merits in 'both' sides of the issue here.

If you have a big 'ol visible garden or orchard, and there are hungry neighbors....eventually you are going to lose some of your crops. If you are alone or just one family unit, it will be impossible to keep guard every single second of every single day.

At some point, a hungry person is going to grab some veggies at 2 am some night. Or the hungry 'volunteer community group' or fire dept or whatever will show up and ask for help. Unless you want to engender some really bad feelings or actually start a shooting war right then and there, it might be best to 'reluctantly' agree to give some of the crops "in the spirit of helping out". Meanwhile you keep your mouth shut about the hundreds of pounds of dried goods and thousands of cans of canned goods and water in your basement.

Now, eventually it may be necessary to cause really bad feelings or it may be necessary to start a shooting war, like if they want to 'search your house for stuff', things like that. But I would try to hold that off as long as possible. Let the nearby non-preppers weaken and their population thin out as much as possible in case it comes to battle.

I should add that I think this would obviously apply to a rural or semi rural situation. In an urban situation I would just keep my head down as long as humanly possible.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:18:32 PM by Les Nessman »

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »
In an urban situation I would just keep my head down as long as humanly possible.
Yep. that's my strategy.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
A couple of points that I haven't seen mentioned.  It is hard to hide out long term in rural areas.  I know every vehicle owned by my neighbors, some of them by sound alone; strangers are immediately noticed and 'watched'.  When I lived in the city I didn't even know my neighbors, and hadn't a clue who belonged and who didn't.  There just aren't many places left east of the Rockies where you have no neighbors.

One person, or for that matter probably just one family, isn't going to be able to hold their crops.   You are tied to one place during the months long growing season with those beautiful green plants just advertising, "Groceries are going to be here in just a couple of weeks".  Along about harvest time you are going to be really popular.  It will be tough to be a vegetarian.  The hunter/gatherer lifestyle will make a comeback.

There are reasons that 'banishment' was such a serious punishment in olden days; an individual with no tribe, no friends, no family was like a rabbit.  That is, he was prey for every carnivore that came down the pike.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
Well, from what i've read, those solitary mountain men and buffalo hunters weren't such pushovers. 

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Well, from what i've read, those solitary mountain men and buffalo hunters weren't such pushovers. 

True.  But Bill, those solitary mountain men were mobile, not tied to one location.  And most kept some kind of uneasy truce with the existing tribes, many took native wives.  Buffalo hunters were pack hunters, they worked in teams.  And both relied on goods that were traded for either in towns or at rendezvous.

I'm not saying just give up and curl into a tight fetal ball, I'm just saying that you are going to need allies.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
Well, I'm likely not going to have any, but I'm not going to give up and kill myself over it, either.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
Well, I'm likely not going to have any

Oh, I suspect that you undersell yourself.  In troubled times people are going to be drawn to those who seem to have a plan for survival.  Who knows, perhaps Quickistan will rise to be a regional power. ;)

Offline SilverDeth

• ...a propagandist by inclination...
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
We'll call him "The 'Govna"

:o

;)
"There are many things worse than dying, and there are some things far more important than living."
- Me, 2004

Offline frankie1950

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
Plan is to bug out to daughter's farm 150 miles away.  Years of provisions, chickens, fruit trees, veg gardens, berries, hoof beef and pork, deer and other wildlife.  Oh, and don't forget my grand boys.  Been planning and preparing for several years.  Mormon discipline and values from childhood combined with Marine military brat upbringing.  Food, ammo, band aids and family.  Highly recommend Appleseed training.  I trust family,  "alla your genes belonga to me"  Well, most of them, anyway.  The good ones fur shure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:15:16 PM by frankie1950 »

prepperjim

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:22 AM »
I don't tell anyone. There is a Prepper meetup and I guess they will know, but they are not coming to my house. I suppose I could learn to trust people and feel them out to see if they are of the same mind and are taking action. I have no interest in showing people the stuff I have stockpiled so that they can come over during an emergency.

The problem with self-sufficiency is that will last as long as your food and bullets last. Once the food is gone, I am screwed and thus need other people.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »
The problem with self-sufficiency is that will last as long as your food and bullets last.

One of our members, The Fat Guy, talks about his grandfather, I think, who considered using more than two or three cartridges a year to take his deer limit a waste.

Three deer, turned into pemmican, would feed you entirely for a year, with no refrigerated storage.

But buy lots of bullets.  Store lots of subsistence food.  And learn how to garden, and store seeds.  You could go indefinitely.

cbpelto

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »
TO: All
RE: Like He Said.....

....LEARN HOW TO GARDEN!

It's akin to the old adage of....

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish.....you know the rest.

But, being a 'Master Gardener', you need to know how to garden in the area you're going to be raising your own food.

You can't grow guava in the Rocky Mountains. Nor a lot of other things.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[If you can't grow it, you can't eat it....for very long.]