Max Velocity Tactical

Your Ad Here - Email for Info

You Can Shop At Amazon and Help Support Emergency-Preps.com Without It Costing You One Thin Dime - Click Here to Learn How!

Author Topic: Does this sound silly? Bug out cart  (Read 5769 times)

Offline That One Lady

Does this sound silly? Bug out cart
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »
I was wandering around my backyard thinking how feeble I am lately and how the he77 am I going to carry a backpack even one block if I'd have to bug out. 

Is it beyond silly to think that maybe we should see into buying a shopping cart somewhere?  Or are there better alternatives that I'm not thinking about?

With our luck we'd buy a cart with a squirmy wheel though ;) 

Offline cd

Re: Does this sound silly? Bug out cart
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
I was wandering around my backyard thinking how feeble I am lately and how the he77 am I going to carry a backpack even one block if I'd have to bug out. 

Is it beyond silly to think that maybe we should see into buying a shopping cart somewhere?  Or are there better alternatives that I'm not thinking about?

With our luck we'd buy a cart with a squirmy wheel though ;) 
If you'll read some of Jerry D. Young's stories, game carts that are used to haul big game are featured from time to time. I'd say he'd recommend them over a shopping cart. It'll let you go "off-road"...

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

Yes, I'm a physician.  No, I'm not YOUR physician.  Nothing I say here is medical advice.

Do I treat Glocks like I treat my lawn mowers?  No, I treat them worse.  I treat my defensive weapons like my fire extinguishers and smoke detector - annual maintenance and I expect them to work when needed

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Jerry D Young
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
I can't carry much of a pack myself. The game cart I have can handle up to 300 pounds. I don't have that much on it, but I do have a lot more than most people can carry in a pack.
Jerry D Young

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and always remember TANSTAAFL
"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" - Robert Heinlein

prepperjim

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:09 AM »
You may be able to get a hand cart like this one and strap on a back pack. Another idea is to have a wagon.

Offline jc

• If it isn't heavy enough to sink you, take it.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Well, If you are a biker - A 'Bugger' is good.  Just toss out the babby and put in the ammo :o.

I ride and although i don't have any kids, I was thinking of one.  That is if my Honda 110T (you know th e red ones you see on the front of hunting trucks with their handle bars turned sidways) is out of gas.  Guess I could trail the Bugger behind the Honda also if it comes down to it.

If anybody comes up with comthing better to haul behind a trail bike, let me know.
JC

Offline CarolinaJoe

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
I have been thinking about getting one of the carts folks use for yard work.  I have seen them on amazon and lowes.com.

They claim this one can carry 600lbs: http://www.lowes.com/pd_288051-84694-DWX200_0__?productId=1081217&Ntt=cart&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcart

Be sure to read the reviews as some of these carts seem to have construction problems and they may be overstating their load capacity.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
Big wheels are better.  The path may not be smooth and free of stones, bricks, and other debris.  Be a hassle to push a shopping cart.  That hand truck will work real well on pavement, concrete, or floors.  Outside, not so much.

The game carriers would, IMO, be better.  They roll easy, fold for storage, and can be tied behind an ATV or trail bike and pulled.  In a pinch you could tie a large dog, goat, etc. to it (old school, Baby, old school).  Most, however, come with spoke wheels.  Spoke wheels get sticks and such tangled up in them.  You can cover the spokes with a circle of cardboard or lightweight plastic to avoid this.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=450180  $70

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=351879  $50

*I have no affiliation with sportsmansguide, except that I've bought stuff from them*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:22:27 PM by razorbacker »

Offline xtron

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
not silly at all......a little first hand experiance here.....

stationed in germany for a year and really got into there Volksmarching....nearly every weekend out walking around the woods, fields, hills and valleys of rural germany.  we really got off the autoban a few times.  the trails were usually quite beautiful, and often rugged.

my son was just starting to toddle, so we started off carrying him in one of those baby backpack things.....and found out real soon that 10 klicks with him on your back is no fun.

so we bought a red wagon..one with the wood side panels that come off, and air tires...one of the best things we ever bought. we pulled that wagon with son, water, lunch, coats, cameras,and anything else one might need on an afternoon hike up and down, round and round, all over the back woods of germany.

keep your game carts...four air wheels and a long pull handle is the way to go for up to about 100 pounds.  above that, you will need a rope so two can pull.

Offline Drang

• The Cluemeter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
Big wheels are better.  The path may not be smooth and free of stones, bricks, and other debris.  Be a hassle to push a shopping cart.  That hand truck will work real well on pavement, concrete, or floors.  Outside, not so much.
Absolutely.  One of the (many) criticisms* of The Road was that using a shopping cart pretty much limits you to pavement, and, actually, won't do all that well on many kinds of pavement. Gardener's cart, little red wagon, game cart, all are better choices.

*Which all assumed that the book was a "how-to" on the PAW, not, as I have read, the author reacting to a new-born child in late middle age.  I dunno about that, but it sure more of a "how NOT to" than otherwise...
The United States Constitution
(c) 1791.
All Rights Reserved.

Offline razorbacker

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
not silly at all......a little first hand experiance here.....

stationed in germany for a year and really got into there Volksmarching....nearly every weekend out walking around the woods, fields, hills and valleys of rural germany.  we really got off the autoban a few times.  the trails were usually quite beautiful, and often rugged.

so we bought a red wagon..one with the wood side panels that come off, and air tires...one of the best things we ever bought. we pulled that wagon with son, water, lunch, coats, cameras,and anything else one might need on an afternoon hike up and down, round and round, all over the back woods of germany.

keep your game carts...four air wheels and a long pull handle is the way to go for up to about 100 pounds.  above that, you will need a rope so two can pull.

I figured that someone would have mentioned this by now, but since they have not...As I am given to understand it, European forest floors look a lot different from American forest floors.  My relatives who have been stationed in Germany, in particular, speak of how clean the forest floor is, with few if any branches and undergrowth lying about.

American forests, in particular forests managed by what has become conventional wisdom, have floors choked with blow-downs, deadfalls, scrub, and accumulated debris of all kinds.  This is due to our American philosophy of fighting all forest fires where ever and when ever that they occur.  I strongly doubt that you are going to pull a little red wagon for any appreciable distance through an American forest's floor.  You are going to find yourself hung up on every downed tree, on every sticker bush, on every blowdown.

It used to be common practice to set fire to the leaves and underbrush in a forest and let it burn off every spring.  I might mention that practice predated the white folks.  That hasn't happened since Smokey Bear became an icon.

Offline cd

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »
I figured that someone would have mentioned this by now, but since they have not...As I am given to understand it, European forest floors look a lot different from American forest floors.  My relatives who have been stationed in Germany, in particular, speak of how clean the forest floor is, with few if any branches and undergrowth lying about.

American forests, in particular forests managed by what has become conventional wisdom, have floors choked with blow-downs, deadfalls, scrub, and accumulated debris of all kinds.  This is due to our American philosophy of fighting all forest fires where ever and when ever that they occur.  I strongly doubt that you are going to pull a little red wagon for any appreciable distance through an American forest's floor.  You are going to find yourself hung up on every downed tree, on every sticker bush, on every blowdown.

It used to be common practice to set fire to the leaves and underbrush in a forest and let it burn off every spring.  I might mention that practice predated the white folks.  That hasn't happened since Smokey Bear became an icon.

FWIW, I know nothing of German woods, but I would guess it also has to do with the maturity of the trees in the stand. Many moons ago, when and where I hunted in central PA (Centre County, doesn't get more central) the canopy was pretty mature and you could see quite a ways in the woods. Then came the gypsy moth, canopy seriously damaged, sunlight through, and all manner of briars and undergrowth emerged seemingly from nowhere. (Much to the benefit of the deer, I might add.)

Offline jsallison

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
FWIW, the forests of Germany are intensely managed.  Peeps go through regularly and pick stuff up, organize stuff, and otherwise manicure the place.  You can locate yourself on topo maps by taking note of the shapes of wooded areas, they don't change.  To find similar levels of housekeeping here, think city parks.
Be courteous and polite, but have a plan to kill everyone else in the room.

Zombies, the other white meat.

Offline xtron

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
http://www.tractorsupply.com/-3599008

800 pound capacity..air filled wheels...expanded metal sides, so bungie cords are usable..reasonable price....

this should get you around on any road, and across most fields, as long as they are not fresh plowed...
as far as forest....just about anything you are not carrying on your back is going to be iffy..

but this should fit 90% of the bill.

Offline jc

• If it isn't heavy enough to sink you, take it.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »
I am considering a cart from - bicyclecart.com. good for behind a bike or scooter.
JC

Offline Amisheggpicker

• General Access
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Drang...didn't toward the end of the movie "The Road", I believe after they stumbled upon someones nicely stocked bunker, they ended up with a game cart sort of thing....I found the shopping cart as being realistic for someone whom was totally unpreparred for a apocolyptic type situation....and having to use what ever was available ...

Of course, no one on this board would be that unpreparred would we...hahahahah!  And we certainly wouldn't abandon our nicely stocked bunker would we?  hahahhaah!

I guess I'll have to post something that happened to me just recently that left me absolutely NAKEDLY (not literally, hahahah!) unpreparred....one stupid little mistake!    And it has me rethinking a LOT of things....
Proverbs 21:20  In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,

but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline Rancher

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
Air filled tires are awesome on nearly any surface.... until you get a flat.

Be good advice to get a patch kit and pump and learn how to use them or better yet, flat free tires.

Offline Coleman Junkie

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
Darn.  You guys all beat me to the punch on the shopping cart solution.  Although The Man and The Boy did upgrade to a garden cart after finding the underground cache.

Mega dittos on the big red wagon.  We got ours when The Critter was too big for his stroller, but still not able to keep up with us all day walking around airshows and car shows.  Came in very handy then, and is now used almost every Sunday for shopping. 

The big red wagon carries four grocery bags nicely and a case of beer fits too.  We've used it in some camping situations where we're a ways from water and want to haul back 10-15 gallons back to the campsite.

The one change I want to make is to dump the cheap plastic wheels that they slapped on it in China with something more fixable.  Wheel bearings wouldn't be bad either.

B

Member of the Church of the Blessed St. John Thomas Rourke since 1983

Offline Hal Jordan

• Let me help
"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing"

Offline Langenator

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
I used a garden wagon to haul my stuff around at big 3-gun matches (smaller ones you just drive around, but big ones have too many people).  It worked great on dirt roads and the grass field that was the parking area.

The guys who used jogging strollers seemed to have a much easier time with them, though.  Although I could have loaded 4-500 lbs in mine if I wanted to, which they couldn't do.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline eXe

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »
Can you ride a bike? I see lots of homeless guys around here using those kid/pet carriers that get hooked to the back of bikes, carrying around their stuff in it. I was thinking about getting a bike and doing something like this myself.. would make a nice cart that I could load with stuff, and bug out on bike it need be.

Offline Bill Quick

• Administrator
    • Daily Pundit
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
I ride bikes, so I liked the notion of bike trailers, until I found that most of them only are rated for 60-70 pounds.  So I bought one of these.  I figured I can always strap a bike on top of the 300 pound load if I need to.
"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."  --   Al Capone

Offline TorontoGrl

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Jogging strollers are very lightweight, have large thin wheels (swivel front wheel) that can go over any terrain, have a lot of space for storage with option to add two good size saddle bags and can be maneuvered with just one hand even with heavy cargo :) Speaking from vast experience

Offline Langenator

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
My wife has talked about wanting to get a adult tricycle, the kind with the big basket.  Personally I think the pedi-cab type with the load basket in the front might be better, but those seem to be quite difficult to find.

Edit: this site has some interesting looking trikes.

Industrial bicycles
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:19:20 AM by Langenator »
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
“In the house of a wise man are stores of food, wine, and oil, but the foolish man devours all he has.” Proverbs 21:20
"We are content with discord, we are content with alarms, we are content with blood, but we will never be content with a master." -Pashtun malik, 1815

Offline oldguy52

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
Anyone looking for more serious bike trailers than the 80/100 lb. cap. versions might want to take a look here.

http://www.bikesatwork.com/
O.G.

"Stupid is supposed to be painful, it's nature's way of learnin' ya" - Me, 1994

When one finds himself living in interesting times, it is prudent to become as uninteresting as possible.... Me, 2011